Chapter 23

And that's exactly what Kenny did, we pulled into their street as Rio revved the engine. Kenny burst out of their front door to see where the sound had come from and was left absolutely gobsmacked at Rio's ride. After getting reluctant permission from his parents Kenny found himself in the backseat of the car, eager to see it in action. Rio pretended to drive regularly until we reached the end of their street, making sure that Beth's minivan was out of earshot he floored it down the near empty street. Kenny was in a state of absolute awe, his eyes were bulging out of his skull as he yelled in excitement.

"It's like a rollercoaster! The kids at school are gonna think I'm so cool!" He was in a fit of giggles as Rio really showed him what the car could do. Nothing overtly dangerous, just a couple of sharp corners and going a tad over the speed limit.

"Aye lemme know a day I'll come get you from school in it, show all your friends how cool you are." I swear Kenny could have died right then, his smile was so wide you'd mistake him for the Cheshire Cat. I looked to Rio with shock and a little confusion. "What babe? Not gonna let me off work early?" My happiness was immeasurable, he was so just perfect.

"Only if I get to join." I retort and he grabs my hand with his free hand. We were on the freeway now and there was next to no one on the road which was pretty suprising. Rio seemed to take advantage of it though, slowly pressing harder on the accelerator.

"How fast should we go Kenny?" He asks, glancing at the boy in his mirror.

"Faster." Rio's foot began to press even harder still as I watched the speedometer go up. "Faster." We were now well and truly at the speed limit, just pushing the edge. "Faster!" Kenny's voice raised and so did his excitement. I held Rio's hand a little tighter as a form of warning him not to go too far, he squeezed back as a reassurance. "Faster!" We were almost twice the speed limit now and I would feel the inertia pinning me to my seat.

"Rio." I warn, now looking at the road with worry.

"Faster!" With that he sped up just a little more, getting us to god knows what speed and sending Kenny into a fit of laughs. We began to slow down some, now resting on the actual speed limit. "That was so cool!" I shot Rio a menacing glare before laughing along with Kenny.

"Do not tell your parents." I look back at him and he metaphorically zips his mouth shut. "Perfect."

We carry on the rest of the trip with Rio and Kenny talking about the car and about the other cars that Rio owns, something I'd yet to see. Each time Rio brought up a new model Kenny would explode with facts about it, they slowly began to really get along. Turns out Rio is fantastic with kids, he's literally the whole package.

Exiting the car, we looked like the epitome of rich, the absolute envy of the country. We practically screamed 'Perfect American Family' especially since Kenny looked as if he were our kid. Which truthfully sometimes I wished he was, but that's besides the point. Rio handed the valet the key with a smug smirk as we waited for the rest of the Bolands. They were a few minutes behind considering our high speed shortcut. Once we all stood together I approached the front of house host, his face adorned a customer service smile as he greeted us.

"Reservation for Violetta Boland." His eyes widened in acknowledgement as he clicked through the pages on his computer.

"Of course, right this way please." He guided us to a decadently decorated round table in the center of the restaurant, right where all of the excitement was happening. The kids' eyes lit up and the various interactive dishes and decor and I could tell they were just as excited as their parents. We got our menus and flicked through them, the kids all pointing and gasping at the pictures. The prices were as I'd expected but it was no matter, may as well spend it on something right?