Chapter 7

The rest of my month consisted of ensuring my security was tighter than ever and clarifying our customers stayed quiet like they had in the past. It had been uneventful with family as well, I'd gotten a visit from Sadie for a night after she refused to tell her mother about her school troubles. But after a teary-eyed night, lots of ice cream and me giving her a ride to school in my brand new sports car all was almost well. Today I awarded myself a day off, a rare occurrence with Rio's gang on the prowl but it'd been so long since our altercation that the thought of them became an unpleasant memory.

I'd gotten a decent sleep in before I was woken up by small claws trying to massage my scalp. I rolled my eyes with a smile as I reached above my head, pulling the ball of fluff into my chest.

"Excuse me hiccup?" The little fluff ball pokes his head up, nuzzling my neck. "I was really enjoying being asleep." We locked eyes for a moment before he licked my nose, his big green eyes showing his affection. I finally gave in and scratched behind his ears, receiving a grateful pur in return. "Should we get some breakfast?" I ask and he jumps off of me and makes his way toward the door.

"Meow!" I laugh lightly, grabbing my phone and heading down to my kitchen.

"Is someone hungry?" I tease as he walks between my legs in an attempt to trip me over.

"Meow!" I finish grabbing his food and pour it into his bowl, letting him munch on it while I got my own breakfast.

I was halfway through making some cereal when I received a phone call, startling both hiccup and I. With a glance at the caller ID I recognized it was Beth's number, I picked up straight away, pouring the milk in the bowl at the same time.

"Hey, Beth-" I begin but she cuts me off abruptly.

"Vi we need your help." I'm taken aback by the panic in her voice.

"Of course, what's happened?" I question, giving the call my full attention and disregarding the cereal entirely.

"There's a man with a bullet wound in my house." She sounds just about in tears but I'm not too surprised.

"How the fu-" I start only to get cut off again.

"I don't know Vi! All I know is that when we woke up this morning he was in Emma's bed. There's a note asking for you Violet! What the hell have you gotten yourself into?!" I almost fire back at her but realize it would do more harm than healing so I take a deep breath and accept that today won't be a day off after all.

"Ok, I'll be there as soon as I can. Is he armed?" I hear muffled panic on the other line. "Beth, is he armed?" I ask again, this time more assertively.

"Yes, there's a gun in his back pocket." She replies. Of course he does.

"One of you need to get it from him," I instruct only to hear more panic. "This is only going to work if you do what I tell you." I remind them, putting the phone on speaker as I go upstairs and throw on whatever clothes I can find, leaving my hair a mess and my face bare.

"I'll do it." Annie volunteers and I hear them all hush each other as she presumably retrieves the firearm. I could practically feel their nerves as I kicked my shoes on and went back downstairs. Hiccup tilted his head lightly and I scratched him behind the ear again.

"Mum's got some stuff to do I'll be back later okay." I pat him again as I leave the house, phone, keys, and purse in hand. "Ok now, what's happening?" I ask them.

"He's still asleep, he needs to go to a hospital." I pulled out of my driveway and sped my way to her home.

"I'll take him to the shopping mall, we're well equipped for this thing. I've got to call my staff to get them to meet me at yours so I'm hanging up okay?"