Chapter 18

Waking up to my alarm with a significant headache and my neck in pain I'm left wondering why on earth Hiccup isn't meowing for my attention. I throw my hair up in a ponytail and wander down to the kitchen for my painkillers. I got halfway down the chairs before I was scared out of my skin.

"Nice PJs." Rio comments and I almost fall down the stairs.

"Holy shit!" I screech in shock, completely forgetting about him staying the night. I also managed to find out where my missing cat had fled to, finding him perched on Rio's lap. "What the literal fuck, you can't scare me like that," I whined, descending the rest of the stairs and entering the kitchen, I could hear him following behind me.

"Sorry darlin, I can see you definitely ain't a morning person." He chuckles and I roll my eyes at him, finding some aspirin in the cupboard.

"What makes you think that?" I ask sarcastically, passing him the tablet and a glass of water. "You're definitely going to need that, we got plastered last night." I could see the effects of the previous night's misdemeanours on his face. His eyes were still slightly bloodshot with dark bags under them and his clothes dishevelled.

"Yeah, not our brightest moment that's for sure, but at least Hiccup kept me company all night." As if right on cue the little menace came in begging for breakfast. I placed some biscuits in his bowl and patted his head lightly.

"So that's where he disappeared to. I must say I'm extremely jealous, I feed and love him for years and in one night he ditches me for a scary gang dude." I sigh exasperatedly.

"What can I say? I'm just really lovable."

"Sure thing." I agree ironically. "I need to shower before work, I can send a car for you to get to your place?" I offer and he nods slightly, a playful smirk quirking his lip.

"I drove you here sweetheart." He replies and I facepalm, of course, he did.

"Right of course. Well did you want breakfast before you go?" I ask turning to open my fridge.

"Or we can just swing past mine on the way to the office, it doesn't take long to do my hair." He chuckles and I think it over.

"I don't want people at the office getting the wrong idea," I respond, closing the fridge and looking through the cupboards instead.

"Wrong idea about what darlin? We're just two bosses." I could hear him getting closer but I kept my back to him, looking further into the cupboard for some cereal. Where the fuck was the cereal? "That spent the night together." I reached the top of the cupboard to grab the box and felt one of his hands on my waist and saw his other hand grab the box from the shelf. "Nothin happened right?" I could feel his breath on the back of my neck and my heart rate began to rise. His grip on my waist tightened as he spun me around to face him. Our lips were inches apart and he managed to lessen the distance again. "Right?" He questions again coming even closer.

Our eyes pierced each other with such intensity that my breathing stuttered. "Uh- No nothing-" I couldn't even finish the sentence, instead leaning in closer and pressing my lips to his. I feel him place the cereal on the bench and grip my waist tighter as I place my arms around his neck, deepening the kiss.

As things heated up I was almost tempted to call in sick to work but Hiccup's incessant meowing snapped me out of it. We pulled away, my mind slightly hazy with the feeling of his lips on mine.

"I should get ready for work." I scurried out of the kitchen without giving him a chance to respond, retreating to my bathroom to have a shower. I could hear him mutter something to Hiccup but couldn't make out the words so I just closed the bathroom door, heaving. Why do I keep kissing him? Surely I'm still delirious from last night's intoxications.

I shook off the feeling and stripped from my dirty, alcohol-smelling, clothes and glanced at the bruise forming on my neck in the mirror. I gently prodded it with my finger and winced in pain, the spot far more painful than yesterday. I let the hot water steam the bathroom as I further inspected the bruise, it had darkened to a sickening purple, no amount of jewellery would cover it so I'd have to endure the beauty blender bashing into it.

Hopping out of the shower and wrapping my towel around me I stepped into my bedroom to find something to wear, preferably something with a high collar. As I turned to my closet I almost dropped my towel in surprise, finding him lounging on my bed as if he owned it.

"Rio if you would be so kind as to wait outside my door-" I sigh but he interrupts me.

"I got bored, your cat ran off somewhere." He replies nonchalantly and I roll my eyes, shutting myself in my wardrobe to get changed. "Damn, I thought I was gonna get a view." I chuckled behind the door despite my disgust.

"You wish." I retort, buttoning my blouse before exiting back into the room to see that he hadn't moved an inch, typical. "I'm not going to be doing anything exciting, you're just going to have to watch me do my makeup." I take a seat at my vanity and rummage through my make up, making sure to find a number of concealers to help hide the bruise.

"Thank god, you look wack without it," Rio exclaims and I turn to him with a venomous look only to find him already cackling. "I'm kidding darlin, you look gorgeous always mama."

"Way to bail yourself out of that one buddy," I grumble with a slight smile, focusing back on making myself look more presentable for the office. I did my face without a hitch but hissed in pain when I began the work on my neck.

"Yo, you good?" Rio practically sprang from the bed.

"Yeah, yeah just hurts a little is all." I try to play it off but he comes closer anyway, tilting my head up with his finger on my chin, further inspecting my bruises.

"You really should be resting until this hurts sweetheart." He lightly traces the bruise, the coolness of his fingers causing a shiver to run through my body. "I'd never do anything like this to you." His eyes slowly travel from my neck to my eyes where they stayed, no intention to break the stare. "You know that right?" I nodded lightly, not quite knowing what to say. He leaned down to kiss me yet again, playing a hand on my cheek to deepen it. "I'll never let that happen to you again." His voice was so low, barely above a whisper but deeper than his usual sarcastic tone.

"I know," I replied, my voice small as well. "But we don't have to worry, we're the dream team remember? You're the badass gangster dude and I'm the boss ass business bitch?" He leans back and chuckles at me.

"You ever call us that in public and I'll deny it and send one of my boys to assassinate you we clear?" He threatens.

"As crystal." I retort, a satisfied smile spreading across my lips.

"Get your pretty ass ready, don't wanna be late do we?"

"We're the boss, we can afford to be a little late." With that, I pulled him in for another kiss.

" With that, I pulled him in for another kiss

Rio reacting to getting told off 😂

Anyways I'm publishing this from EUROPE and I'm having an absolute blast! Hope you enjoyed
~ Mikayla