Chapter 33

"What the fuck do you mean you gave him his office back? That's my fucking office Letta!" Rio was far less than pleased at my proposal to Pete, understandably so.

"Well I figured you didn't really use it anyway so you can move into my office." I retorted with a shrug.

"You're going to give up your most prized possession for that asshole? You can't be serious mama." He raised his eyebrows expecting me to admit it was a joke but his face fell when he realized I was serious.

"Without him on side we're fucked and honestly I need his expertise in his fields to help manage this place, especially after all that's happened over the past couple of months. You and I are too close to be proper co-workers now." I attempted to explain.

"So he just gets to waltz back in after threatening your life? After creating a literal mob against you? Be smart about this for fuck sake."

"I am being smart about this! I've been in this business a lot longer than you babe and let me tell you I know how to fucking make decisions. I didn't get here out of luck okay? He's coming back because its the right move to make so accept it or take your business elsewhere." It felt like the months of being subtly undermined by the people in my life all bubbled into one quick outburst that was over as quick as it began. "So if you'll excuse me, I have to have a meeting with Candace about my schedule for the week and how we are going to re-introduce Pete into the current operations. Come find me when you stop throwing a hissy fit." I added, side stepping him and closing the door behind me, not giving him the chance to respond.

It's about time they realized that I'm the boss.

~~~

The day had dwelled on almost uneventfully, I had met with a number of members of my research teams as we all devised a worthy call to action as we included Pete in our schemes. Rio had only lasted til lunchtime before he knocked at the office door.

"Come in." My tone was authoritative and cold, an edge it had been lacking lately.

"Letta I'm sorry." He apologized, leaning against the now closed door. "I should've trusted you on that, I just get worried about what he's capable of." He explained, his arms crossed and a sympathetic look on his face.

"You don't need to worry Rio. This will help us end this headache and him being back will free up some time for us to spend together." I stood up from my desk and stood infront of it.

"Is Violetta Boland really saying that she would rather spend time with me than on work?" He replies with mock surprise. As he spoke he met me at the desk, his hands resting on either side of my thighs, breath hot against my lips.

"Still think my ideas are shit?" I retorted but he kisses me roughly, his hands in my hair as he presses me further into the desk.

"Not at all." He retorts.

After finishing our very important meeting Rio and I carried on with the tasks of the day. Peter wasn't arriving until tomorrow and there was a number of things to do in preparation. In the meantime Rio said that he managed to reach the Risneed sisters and after some convincing they'd agreed to meet with us later this week. It felt good to finally be moving forward.

"Ok, are all immediate things handled?" I questioned to the members of our staff and they all nodded profusely. "Perfect, we will be back early tomorrow morning to ease Pete's transition, you are all to treat him with the same respect you showed when he was previously employed here am I clear?" A wave of 'yes boss's echoed through the space and I nodded with clarification.

"Let's get some food then yeah babe?" Rio whispered in my ear and I nodded with relief, I was absolutely starving. 

"Candace, take the rest of the day off, I'm sure you have very important wedding planning to take care of." Candace nodded, her face brightening at the offer. She gathered her things quickly and raced to join us in the elevator.