Chapter 8

Amberpaw stared at Mousecall in shock, not believing what she was seeing, that her foster brother was dead.

"I'm sorry." Dockleaf mewed. 

"Saying sorry won't save him! Do something!" Birchstride was really distressed.

"He can't b-because Mousecall is d-dead." Hawkstar pressed himself to her side. After that, the days slipped away like morning dew, Amberpaw in shock. She still hunted for the clan, but had no idea which clan she would choose. Amberpaw was aware that the Gathering was tomorrow, and Whiskerpaw, Earpaw and Blazepaw, would receive their names today, if they passed their assessments. If Amberpaw stayed, her assessment would be the day after the Gathering. 

"Amberpaw?" Hawkstar padded through the den entrance of the apprentices den.

"What?" She responded dully.

"Are you going to stay, or leaving to Riverclan?" Hawkstar persisted the question.

"Don't you want me to stay?" Amberpaw asked.

"I want you to follow your heart. If it lies in Riverclan, you shall go without Thunderclan fighting to keep you here, if you wish to stay, we will fight to keep you." Hawkstar blinked fondly at her. 

"I don't know." Amberpaw walked out of the apprentices den, and decided to hunt. 

"Hey Amberpaw, do you want to hunt with me?" Asked Seedpaw. 

"Sure." She said, to not hurt his feelings. They padded side by side, pelts brushing. Amberpaw stopped, nose twitching. 

"What is it?" Seedpaw whispered. 

"Rabbit." She flicked her tail, signaling to circle around the rabbit. Seedpaw got in position, and Amberpaw pounced on the rabbit, and Seedpaw cut off its escape route, and then she killed it with a bite to its neck.  

"Cmon! Let's bring it back to camp!" Seedpaw said excitedly. They walked into camp, and dropped the rabbit on the fresh-kill pile. Obviously the three apprentices had passed their assessments, cause the three of them were bubbling with excitement. 

"I hear I have to make three new warriors. Whiskerpaw, step forward. Whiskerpaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and defend your clan, even at the cost of your life?" 

"I do!" Whiskerpaw meowed.

"Then by the powers of Starclan I give you your warrior name. Whiskerpaw, from this moment on you will be known as Whiskerflight. Starclan honors your intelligence and bravery, and we welcome you as a full warrior in Thunderclan." Hawkstar paused to give them time to chant Whiskerflight's name. Then he continued.

"Earpaw, step forward. Earpaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and defend your clan, even at the cost of your life?"

"I do!" He responded nervously. 

"Then by the powers of Starclan I give you your warrior name. Earpaw, from this moment on you will be known as Earstripe. Starclan honors you courage and dedication, and we welcome you as a full warrior in Thunderclan." Then Hawkstar fixed his gaze on Blazepaw, and asked,

"Blazepaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and defend your clan, even at the cost of your life?"

"I do!" His mew rang out confidently.

"Then by the powers of Starclan I give you your warrior name. Blazepaw, from this moment on you will be know as Blazespark. Starclan honors your confidence and determination, and we welcome you as a full warrior in Thunderclan." Amberpaw chanted their names, as she felt the day slipping away....