Chapter Eight - The Hunter

A light breeze flowed the air, grass waving gently, leaves creating a calm song with their rustles. Rain patted down on the trees and ground, creating a light smell of water in the air. The only sounds were the rain pit-patting onto the forest floor, the breeze creating a whistling noise, and two pairs of breathing. It was dark, nighttime. The only source of light seemed to be the full moon that shone brightly in the sky and a television beside two people that was only static. There was a slight groan from one of the two people on the ground.

Mono pushed himself up from the ground and looked around. He smiled a bit as he realized that they were now close to Pale City. They could be close to their past selves. He then looked around to make sure that Six was near. He sighed in relief when he looked down to see Six lying down with her eyes closed. He could hear her breathing, so he knew that she was alive. It calmed him a bit. For a moment he waited for Six to wake. As he did so, he studied her features, even if some not visible.

Six's eyes suddenly fluttered open, causing Mono to jump a bit in surprise. Six looked up at Mono, a slight laugh coming out. She sighed and picked herself up, popping a few of her bones as she did so, which caused her to groan. Mono looked at her with a touch of concern. "Are you alright?", he asked. Six simply nodded in response and waved it off. She looked around to see where they were, as did Mono. She flinched a bit as she realized where they were from their surroundings.

The rain made it so much more familiar. The stench in the air of blood and rotting bodies created a much more nostalgic feel. And the cabin that rested mere yards in front of them just gave the scenery away. Six shivered a bit as she remembered the memories of when she had first entered that dreadful place. Mono stared at Six with a concerned look as she began to limp a bit, until she finally fell. Mono then called out her name urgently, hoping that she was alright. Meanwhile, Six was falling into a world of darkness. A place without light.

Six tried her best to loosen herself from the Hunter's grip, but unfortunately, his grip was tight. Six kept squirming anyways, with a large amount of unbelievable hope. Suddenly the Hunter breathed hoarsely under his mask and grunted at Six as if to say "stop squirming, kid". But Six refused, still trying to move. She was determined to wiggle free, even if it was just a distant dream. The Hunter opened the door to his cabin, which revealed an even more disgusting stench than before. Six tried her best to ignore it. The Hunter walked into a room in which the door was busted open at the bottom.

The Hunter violently threw Six into the room. Six hit the wooden floor hard, a grunt emerging from her. It took her a few minutes to get up. As she began to get up, there was a loud banging sound on the door. The Hunter was nailing wooden boards onto the door at the bottom so that Six was unable to get out. Six winced and drew back at the sounds. After several minutes, the Hunter was finished nailing down the boards, leaving Six to her thoughts in the empty room. Well, almost-empty room.

There was a large table behind Six. Or rather, it was large to her. For the Hunter, it was an average-sized table. On the floor was a carpet with a pretty little pattern on it, with the exception of the dirt and blood all over it. Six looked around the room, observing everything. She noticed some marks on the wall. They were tally marks, as if someone was counting the minutes, hours, or days that they were trapped in this room. And based on Six's current situation, she guessed that it was probably what it was. As Six observed the room, she noticed a few more things. But what she mostly noticed was a music box beside her.

It was a small little music box that was perfect for Six's size. Six began to wonder why it was there. Maybe for a project the Hunter was making with his twisted human experiments. Maybe a miniature object that was thrown into the room. Or the most likely explanation, a music box from a human that the Hunter killed. But Six didn't like to think of the last scenario, even if it was the most probable. Six crawled over to the music box.