Chapter Eleven - Path to a Broken Past

The clouds in the sky began to become darker and darker, covering the stars, but even if Six had a slight fear of storms, she didn't dare let it show through. She would just let it pass, just let it proceed. Mono, on the other hand, didn't mind showing his fear of storms. Or rather, he didn't like showing it, it just was forced out of him. Every time that there was a roll of thunder or a sudden strike of lightning, he'd jump a bit with a small yelp. Six giggled every now and again at him, but Mono wasn't laughing in the least.

The beginning of the storm continued, but it wasn't raining yet. Six decided to make it furthest thing from her mind. She looked around at her and Mono's surroundings, the sky excluded. She noticed that it appeared to look a lot like the same old Pale City. But of course, since it had gotten a bit older since Six and Mono had visited, at least the older Six and Mono. Some of the buildings had been rotting a bit more. A few more televisions were broken. There were less people, or Viewers. It seemed like Pale City had just become more dead.

But it wasn't unusual. Every place, at some point in time, was dead. As Six glanced around, Mono did the same. He began to remember when the two had crawled through a hole in the wall of a building, leading to the first television Mono went through. Which led to Stage One of Mono becoming what he now was. The Thin Man. He shook the memory off. It wasn't a pleasant one, although it wasn't terrible. He and Six continued to walk up into the town of Pale City. They began to walk between two buildings, which was their entrance into the city.

Suddenly lightning struck with a large roll of thunder. Mono jumped about a foot up off of the ground and latched himself onto Six's arm. Six yelped in surprise, not expecting to be grabbed so quickly and suddenly. The clouds began to sprinkle down bits of water, the rain beginning to trickle down. Six sighed a bit as she looked over at Mono. Mono looked back at her, shrugging with a chuckle, pointing to his hat. Six grumbled a bit. "Look, we need to get to a building or some sort of shelter before the storm sta-"

Six's words were cut off by the rain progressing in heaviness. It quickly began to turn from sprinkling to a normal rain. And if that wasn't enough, it was turning into a downpour. Six let out an extremely annoyed huff, glaring around up at the sky. Mono chuckled as Six began to cover her head with her arms. The two continued walking in the pouring rain, not exactly speaking a word to each other. Mono looked up at the building to their left. He thought for a minute, glancing around at the windows and holes. He made a noise of triumph when he realized what the building was.

Mono grabbed one of Six's arms from above her head tightly. She grunted as Mono pulled her along with him. He ran, dragging Six with him, to the tall building's entrance. Without even turning or pulling a knob, he simply forced the door open with a hard push. He ran quickly up the first flight of stairs before Six pulled violently on Mono's arm, pulling him to the ground. The two lied on the floor for a moment, catching their breath. Mono jerked his head up to look at Six. "What did you do that for?", he asked.

Six sighed a bit, laughing sarcastically. "No. No. No, no, no, no, no. You don't get to ask the questions in this situation.", she said as she shook her head multiple times. But rather than giving in to what Six was saying and understanding, he instead wore a look of confusion. Six sighed in disappointment. "Look, I'm asking the questions. Starting with why did you pull me so harshly? Why are you rushing? And why did you drag us both up into this apartment building?!" Six breathed deeply, her face red with fury.

Mono raised up a hand, waving it up and down gently. "Hey, hey, calm down. You're getting a little rough.", he said in a soft voice, still trying to stabilize his breath. Six sighed and rolled her eyes in response to him. Surely he had some reason to drag the two of them up to apartments, a reason which Six was confused and unknowing of. "The point of me 'dragging us up here', as you called it,", Six rolled her eyes, "was because when we were younger, this is where I first went into the television. So maybe our past selves are up there."