Chapter Fifteen - Dark Magic

Mono felt the Teacher's razor-sharp teeth graze against his neck as he shoved himself out of the window, shouting for his life as he leaped off of the roof. The Teacher shortened her neck back in towards the School's second-floor window as Mono threw himself into the air. As he hit the ultimate highest peak of the air, he began to fear that he wouldn't survive the fall. Then he began to fall to the ground, the cobblestone roads of the street. As he did, he began to scream even louder than he did before, not just about his chance of survival being low, but also about the fact that he might fall onto Six, crushing them both. 

Mono hit the ground below with a loud cracking sound. Mono shut his eyes tightly for a moment, not daring to scream out the pain of his now-fractured backbone. Though he didn't want to scream to attract the attention of whatever may be lurking out in the shadows, he felt as if he were dying on the inside. He could feel the pain pulse through he bones, muscle, and very blood itself. But he opened his eyes for a moment and looked at Six, who was on his left. 

Six was breathing deeply as she held her arm gently, gritting her teeth, attempting to hold back a just-as-loud blood-curdling scream that Mono was holding back. They both had taken a rough fall from the second-floor window of the School, from a height of about 20 feet or higher, so it did an amount of damage of the both of them. Mono had fractured his back while Six had broken her arm, both in major pain. But both of them fought to stay silent, no matter how much pain was flowing through their bodies.

Six took the arm she could move and lied her hand on Mono's shoulder, slightly shaking him. Mono hissed at the pain through tightly-ground teeth and exhaled deeply. Six flinched and drew her hand back from Mono quickly. "Are you alright?", Six asked in a low voice, even though she knew Mono was anything but alright. 

Mono opened his eyes and shifted his gaze over to Six. "Not exactly.", he answered in a deep voice, speaking slowly, it hurting for him to even talk. "I hurt my... back. Terribly." Six nodded a bit. She pushed herself up onto her knees with support from her broken arm.

Mono noticed that she was somehow supporting her body with the arm she had been holding in pain. He looked at Six with confusion, glancing between her and her arm so that he wouldn't have to waste the breath to ask how she was able to do it. Six understood and laid a hand on one of Mono's shoulders. "My dark magic. It'll lessen the pain. It won't take it away completely, but it'll make it much less painful.", Six explained, gripping the shoulder she had ahold of. "I'm going to turn you over, so keep your screaming in, alright?"

Mono gave a small nod and inhaled deeply, preparing himself for the pain, even if it might not have been possible. Six began to count down from three as she rested her and on Mono's shoulder. As she called out the number "one", she then pushed hard, forcing Mono to be flipped over onto his front side. As she did, Mono was in a greater amount of pain than he had ever experienced, physical-wise. He grunted loudly, almost like a deep scream, but not loudly. He beat his foot against the ground harshly, attempting to get the pain in another form other than screeching. 

But finally Mono was flipped over onto his stomach, breathing deeply, unsteadily. Six swore she could see Mono's eyes tearing up in pain. She wouldn't be surprised though, considering Mono's back was, as he had called it, "terribly hurt". She assumed that his backbone may have been fractured, or even broken. Whatever it was, it was causing Mono to have intense pain and Six wasn't going to just sit there and let her friend deal with that pain. She placed both of her hands on Mono's back, causing Mono to flinch. But once he rested back into the same position he was before flinching, Six informed him to be prepared for a sharp pain.

Six felt power begin to flow through her hands. Soon enough, it reached her fingertips and began to exit through her very pores, seething into Mono's back. The black smoke-looking magic forced itself into Mono's back and to his very bone. And Mono was definitely able to tell when the magic hit the break in his back, a blast of pain spreading like explosions of a bomb throughout his body. He groaned in pain, but as quietly as possible.

But it ended just as quickly as it had began. The pain, the major pain, at least, began to fade away from Mono's body. By the time Six finished relieving the pain with her magic, all the pain Mono could feel was a small sore spot in his back. "Better?", Six asked as she rose her hands away from Mono's back. 

Mono glanced up at Six and nodded lightly. "Yeah, I can't feel much pain.", he said softly as he turned himself over and pushed himself up off of the cobblestone streets. He stood up and reached a hand downward to pull Six up. Six grabbed onto Mono's wrist and pulled herself up, him pulling back. 

Mono and Six adjusted to standing up, catching their balance. Mono looked over his shoulder, glancing back at the School they had just escaped with amounts of damage inflicted upon them. Six looked at Mono, fully knowing what he was looking at, and just as well knowing what he was thinking. "Mono, hopefully no more versions of us through time will have to go through that nightmare, not if we stop this timeloop.", she whispered to him in an assuring tone. Mono nodded a bit, but still seemed distracted.

Six and Mono began to walk away from the School that had been a literal torture house, deciding to leave past memories of that evil place behind. The rain began to trickle down again, the clouds above foreshadowing a storm about to start, the air humid around them. Mono took his dress coat off out of the heat in the air and to lift over his head and block the rain with. Six glanced at the coat he had over his head. She leaned up against, taking cover from the rain, no matter how close she had to get to him. Mono looked down at her with a soft smile.

The two continued down the streets of this area of the Pale City. They continued until they came to the gap between the lands of Pale City. The area where there was only one connection were long pieces of wood that connected the pieces of Pale City that were like puzzle pieces. But by the appearance of it, Six and Mono were both sure that these pieces of wood might not hold if they tried to cross it.

"So, how do you suggest we get across?", Six asked Mono, looking up at him. Mono turned and looked at the buildings behind him, noting that one of them was a store. It looked like there were objects inside that might help them in their situation. 

"I've got an idea.", Mono said with a face that showed he had an idea. Six looked at him, figuring that he definitely did. 

"Of course you do.", Six said quietly. "You see one object and you figure almost anything out."

Mono chuckled and began walking to wards the store, Six beside him, practically held close against his chest.

*****

A/N

Happy Father's Day! Also, sorry for the wait. I'm finally able to write a little more often. Also, sorry much didn't happen this chapter. I promise the next few will be good. (Especially since "The Hospital" chapter will be coming soon!)