Chapter Ten - Pale City

Six and Mono walked down the swampy trail of the woods past the Hunter's cabin. Six attempted to try and not get mud onto her feet, even if it was a hopeless idea. Mono simply trudged through the muddy pathway, not a care in he world about what it would do to his clothes or shoes. He just wanted to get away from the Hunter's cabin and leave the whole deal behind. Yes, Six wanted to do the same, but she still cared about what she looked like. It was a habit of her's. Normal people cared what they looked like, but Six had began to obsess over things like that.

The two finally got out of the wet and grotesque area of the forest to arrive to a series of bushes and tree limbs in the wilderness. Dirt and mud was smeared all over the bottom of Mono's pants and Six's dress. She grumbled a bit, fists clenched, muttering angrily to herself. Mono chuckled a bit. He found his friend's "troubles" to be funny. But him finding the humor in it all just made Six even more mad. Mono stopped and began to stare at the area they were in. Six glanced at him and looked around as well.

The area was full of plant life. There were shrubs, bushes, trees, and tree limbs scattered everywhere. The ground was damp from what seemed like never-ending rainy weather. Not only was the ground wet, but it was also sticky and layered. Mono and Six's steps would sink into the ground taking any step. There were random amounts of debris scattered around the area. Right in front of the plant-filled area, the coast was shallow, bet led to deep lengths of the ocean. It was their one-way ride to Pale City.

Mono made his way down to the shore of the area. He examined, moved, and adjusted pieces of debris around him. Meanwhile, Six was observing the area. She brought herself over to the shore where Mono was. Not only did she examine the debris with him, but she also decided to examine her reflection in the water. For once, a monster didn't stare back. Instead, she actually saw her true attractive reflection. She didn't see it often, so she let a smile form on her face. It seemed that she was pleased with herself. But when she remembered that she no longer had her mask, a question appeared in her mind.

Six looked over at Mono, who was looking at a large piece of metal. "Hey.", Six softly called out to Mono. He turned around to see Six, wanting to know what she wanted. "Sorry for yelling at you about the mask. I know you didn't take it. I was just upset, although I truly wonder where it is."

Mono shrugged a bit. "Not sure, Six. It probably became lost whenever we traveled through that television.", he responded with a soft smile. "You don't need it anyway."

Six smiled back and looked back at her reflection. Mono was right. She didn't need it.

Six began to look around the trash on the shore along with Mono. She did so for a few minutes before wondering what in the world they were actually looking for. Once realizing that she didn't know, she glanced up at Mono with a slightly flustered expression.

"Uhm... Mono?", Six said, catching her friend's attention. Mono looked over his shoulder to see her.

"Yes?", he asked with a raised eyebrow.

"I know I probably should've asked before, but what are we looking for, exactly?", Six asked with a silly smile plastered on her face.

Mono sighed, chuckling a bit. He stood up straight so that he could look at Six clearly. "Well, we need something to go across this body of water, correct?", he asked, with an obvious tone of sarcasm in his voice as he gestured his hand towards the water past the shore. Six rolled her eyes, even if she did realize that her question was a dumb one to ask. Mono turned back around and began rummaging through the trash around the two. Six began to do the same.

As the two looked around the pieces of material around them, Six focused on her thoughts. She thought about what the two might do whenever they find their past selves. What will we do?, Six thought to herself. How will we stop this time loop? Ask my younger self not to drop her friend? The thoughts remained on her mind. She realized that she was slightly stressing herself and sighed a bit. Glancing over her shoulder, she thought about this journey being Mono's whole idea. She smiled a bit. Well, if Mono wanted to do this, he probably has some sort of plan.