Chapter Sixteen - The Chasm

A/N: THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR OVER 14K READS!!! 

I feel so honored! Thank you!

(Also the next chapter's gonna be deeeep.)

Mono walked down the cobblestone streets, rushing to get to the store, Six followed behind him, pulling her robe-like dress up, attempting not to trip. Mono finally arrived to the building that he had been searching for. The building looked old, almost like it was abandoned or broken into. The windows themselves were shattered to pieces, the windowsill covered in a sticky black mold. Vines were wrapped around the entirety of the building, inside and out. The front door of the building was knocked to the ground. Glass covered the black-and-white tiled floors, making it seem impossible not to cut yourself while walking around. 

Mono stepped into the building and examined the room, Six following behind him. It appeared that it may have, at one point in time, been a shop of some sort. It had several objects in it's large area of a room. Some even still had rotting price tags, price tags that were once brand new, before the time loop started and no one had free will. Before their world was a dystopia. There were a few televisions, but they were broken, due to either the signal being too strong or viewers in the town running into the screens. 

Six stared down at the lifeless bodies of the few dead viewers in the room. It reminded her of the gnomes she had sucked the very life force out of back when she was on the Maw. She remembered that she hated having to do it, but at the same time, she enjoyed the taste, the feeling. Yet they could never satisfy her hunger. She knew what a gluttonous being she was, and it had been a while since she was that bad when it came to hunger. But sometimes she missed it. Six began to reach hand towards the dead viewer with curiosity, with a small sort of longing to be that way again.

"Six?", Mono said aloud, breaking Six's trance away from the dead viewer's body. As she looked at him, she reminded herself that she was no longer that weakling girl in the yellow raincoat with a bottomless pit of a stomach, and Mono was no longer that innocent little boy with a paper bag over his head that was willing to trust anyone. She was The Lady, someone who wore a mask and showed no one her face. And he was The Thin Man, tall and slim, trusting no one.

"Yeah, what is it?", Six asked as she glanced at Mono. Mono was across the room from her and holding several items in his hands. He walked over the Six and showed her the objects within his arms. He was holding a long, rolled-up-in-a-ball rope, two sharp and thick hooks, and a clothing hanger. Six looked at it with confusion, unknowing of what Mono could possibly use the objects for. She then looked at Mono and chuckled a bit.

"And what do you suggest we do with that?", she asked with a tone of sarcasm.

Mono sighed a bit in frustration. "I have to explain everything to you.", he muttered under his breath. He held up the rope and two hooks as he began to explain his plan. "First, we take these hooks  and tie them to each end of the ropes." As Mono began to walk outside with the supplies he needed, Six following behind him, he gestured towards the cobblestone ground. "Because of the way the road is made, we should be able to throw one of the ends of the rope forward to the other side of this gap. It should hook into the ground."

Six nodded as Mono spoke, somewhat understanding his plan so far. Mono dropped to the ground and began to tie the first hook to one end of the rope as he continued to explain his plan. "Once the hook implants firmly into the ground in the other side of this gap, we can shove the other end into the ground over here firmly." Mono finished tying the first hook to one end of the rope. He then took the other hook and began to tie it to the opposite end of the rope. 

"Then, once we have the hooks planted in the ground, we can use this metal hanger,", he said as he gestured towards the metal hanger on the ground beside him, "to, in a way, zipline to the other side." Six nodded in understanding. She thought that the plan sounded reasonable. Mono then finished tying the knot between the rope and hook. He then picked up the middle area of the rope and threw it over his back. 

"Six, help me throw this over to the other side.",  Mono said, gripping the rope tightly. Six gave a slight nod and walked over to Mono and took her place beside him.

She was extremely close to him. Her arm was touching his, the fabric on their clothing feeling as if they might stick together due to static. Six raised her arm to grip the same area of rope that Mono had ahold of. Almost automatically, as if it was instinct, Six's hand wrapped around Mono's, intertwining their hands together. Mono glanced down at Six and chuckled a bit. Heat rose to his cheeks, as he only hoped that the dark blue coloration of his skin hid his blushing cheeks. Six chuckled a bit. She didn't want to embarrass him by saying that she could somewhat see it.

"On three.", Six said, staring into Mono's purely black eyes. Mono gave a nod as he stared into her deep red ones. The two of them then looked towards the area they were aiming for. 

"One..."

Six and Mono gripped their hands around the rope and each other's hands.

"Two..."

Six and Mono drew their arms further back and prepared for a long throw.

"THREE!", Six shouted.

Mono and Six threw the makeshift zipline across to the other side of the chasm. The hook implanted into the ground deeply on the other side. Mono smiled a bit and looked at Six. Six smiled back a bit. His plan was genius, she had to give him that.

Mono placed the other hook into the ground that him and Six stood on. He then picked up the metal clotheshanger and put it onto the rope. He lowered himself into the air below, trusting that the metal hanger and basic zipline alone could hold him. He took in a deep breath and let himself drop. He was not falling to his death, or falling at all. The metal hanger was holding him. Mono then looked up at Six.

"Get down here!", Mono called. "You need to hang on to me!" Six was unsure of this part of the plan. But maybe it would work. She began to wrap her hands around Mono's shoulders, letting herself drop slowly.

Just do it all at once, then it won't seem so scary, Six thought to herself. She then leaped down, gripping her arms around Mono. She yelped, but realized that they weren't falling. Six looked up at Mono, who was smiling. How Six had missed his wonderful smile. She pulled herself closer to him. She wasn't sure if it was because she wanted to stay as safe as possible, or if it was because she just missed hugging him. Being close to him.

Mono forcefully pushed his foot against the piece of land they had been on, pushing them towards the other side of the chasm. They arrived to the other piece of land, pulling themselves up to it by using the rope. 

They then were standing up on the ground.

"Mission successful.", Mono said with a snicker. Six chuckled softly. "Let's try and stop this timeloop."