Chapter 43

(author's note: i heard you guys like updates. thanks for all the comments!)

Jumping onto the couch, Ryujin nearly spilled the popcorn that she had made for them. Yeji giving her an angry side glance before sighing at her shameless smile. Throwing a popcorn upwards and catching it with ease before focusing on the screen in front of them.

"So what's the movie? Is it gore? Or just scary? What kind of scary? Possessions or psychological?"

Yeji sighed, audibly. Pushing some buttons on the remote and not even sparing a glance her way. "Can you stop speed talking?"

Ryujin rolled her eyes, leaning back on the couch and continuing to monopolize the popcorn bowl.

Once the older girl finally selected the movie and leaned back, Ryujin spoke again. Much to the dismay of the other.

"Just so you know, if you're going to squeeze my arm again this time, please refrain from leaving finger bruises. People might think we are doing ungodly things."

Her words definitely caught Yeji by surprise, who nearly choked on the popcorn she had just placed in her mouth a second before. Coughing before looking at Ryujin and hitting her hard with the first thing at hand, which happened to be a pillow.

"Careful, i'm in charge of the popcorn bowl." Ryujin argued, bending and protecting the bowl from spilling over.

"You're so annoying."

Ryujin chuckled, observing Yeji sitting down properly and focusing on the screen again.

"It was only a warning."

The older of them only scoffed in response. "I don't need you anyway."

Ryujin smiled amusingly, raising her eyebrows and deciding to make use of the opportunity presented to her. "In that case, should I leave you to watch the movie alone?"

It must have been a world record, how fast Yeji turned her head to meet her gaze, her eyes wider than normal.

"Exactly." She spoke, rejoicing in her small victory.

"Shut up. I'm trying to watch this."

Ryujin only smiled, watching Yeji's arm folded against her chest, as if to protect herself. Her face looking mildly concerned and tense. It was a little too amusing for her but it also made her want to comfort the girl.

Of course, that wasn't an option.

She pouted to herself, trying to get rid of such thoughts and actually paying attention to the movie playing.

"I think it's him."

Yeji didn't speak immediately, so Ryujin wasn't actually expecting anything from her.

"Do you actually think that? Or is it because it's a man?"

Maybe the other had figured her out more than she had thought. Because, it was a little bit of both. Ryujin couldn't help but chuckle at the sudden call out, moving the bowl towards Yeji without even thinking about it while the other took some popcorn, eyes glued to the screen.

The moment both of them put a mouthful of popcorn in their mouths there was graphic and quite bloody scenes on the tv. Making both of them look away in disgust.

"I'm guessing you'll be using a lot of red in your painting."

Yeji winced as the gore scene seemed to continue forever, looking away from the screen. Yeji was turned sideways just facing her instead of the television now. Ryujin chuckled, placing her hand between Yeji's eyes and the screen, offering her a whisker smile.

She hadn't expected to be met with a soft expression from a caught off guard Yeji who was staring back at her until the moment she seemed to wake up from whatever daze she was on. Blinking and quickly swatting her hand away. Clearing her throat before sitting back facing the tv.

Ryujin sat in silence, staring at Yeji who was paying no attention to her now. Frozen from the unexpected interaction.

It didn't mean anything. She knew that much. Yeji had simply got caught off guard by the movie so she looked particularly vulnerable. It had nothing to do with Ryujin.

Yet she felt nervous. The type of nervous you get when you nearly kiss someone. Not that their interaction had even come close to that. And yet there she was, feeling that way over one look.

Saying she felt stupid for it wasn't even harsh enough to describe her feelings towards the situation.

It was just a look. It was just a movie. And Yeji was just a girl.

Ryujin took a deep breath, trying to stop herself from freaking out over something so insignificant.

They didn't speak for the rest of the movie. Not until the last few minutes. When they accidentally touched hands, causing their eyes to meet again.

"Thank you for this." Yeji said, looking like she didn't want to say those words. It's not like Ryujin was making her so she's not sure why she's acting like she's being forced to do so. "But don't think I like you."

Surely this woman had a degree in stepping on her heart.

Ryujin could only nod, her chest feeling just a little too heavy for her liking. "Sure."

And with that the movie ended, and so did their night.

Yeji didn't hesitate to leave the moment the screen turned black and Ryujin wished that for once, just once, she would hesitate.

But of course, what seemed like progress was nothing at all.