Chapter 23

Ryujin looked at Lia, who seemed to want to run away but stood frozen in place. Not moving and hardly blinking as she stared with her eyes widened at Chaeryeong.

Then her eyes moved to Yeji's best friend who seemed mildly uncomfortable as well. She wasn't sure if the girl was surprised or simply tense from their sudden situation. But she must have known about Lia being there, right? That must be why she had joined them. Yeji must have told her about Lia and that's why Chaeryeong was standing in front of them. Unless...

Her gaze moved to Yeji, who seemed to sense it and immediately met it. As per usual, it was hard to read her expression so Ryujin wasn't sure if she had orchestrated something without her friend's knowledge or if Chaeryeong had asked her to do so. Either way, it was clear she had been aware the other would be joining them. Which was why she glared at her, not looking at all amused by the fact. She had placed her best friend in a tough spot and Ryujin wanted to tell her off for it but she wasn't one to cause a scene. And so she remained silent, looking back at Lia with worry clear in her face.

As she was about to ask her best friend if she was okay, someone started to tug at her hoodie. Causing her brows to furrow as she glanced to her left, immediately meeting Yeji's eyes who simply glanced away from the group and back at her. The girl clearly trying to nudge her away from the other girls. But something about that didn't sit right with her. Would Lia be more comfortable speaking to Chaeryeong by herself? Would she even want to do so? Because it sure didn't look that way to her.

Yuna seemed to follow Yeji's lead and understand immediately that she had requested them to give the girls some space, moving towards some arcade machines that were placed the furthest from them. But Ryujin hesitated, while Yeji didn't seem to let go of her hoodie's sleeve. Even if she hadn't budged at all.

Lia finally glanced towards her and their eyes met, causing Ryujin to give her a look as if to ask if she would be okay and her best friend nodded hesitantly, sighing before offering her a small smile. One she knew to be fake. But it reassured her. Because that smile meant that although Lia wasn't exactly cool or comfortable with what was happening, she wanted to try and speak to Chaeryeong and so Ryujin felt that she could finally move and leave them be.

Of course, she would still worry and immediately check up on Lia once they were done talking. That's her best friend and she would want to be there for her. Whether things went well or not. She would be by her side. For now, she would worry from afar.

Yeji continued to drag her, as soon as she allowed her to do so, taking every step hesitantly but following along. Until her, Yuna and Yeji found themselves near a game. Yuna, who was completely clueless about the situation and Chaeryeong and Lia's connection, was busy playing the game. Meanwhile, both her and Yeji were clearly busy watching their friends. Neither of them paying any attention to the game and simply staring at them.

"Did she know?" Ryujin suddenly found herself asking aloud, but barely audible to anyone but the taller girl who was standing besides her.

Yeji seemed to understand what she was asking, judging by the awkward silence before she shook her head. Something she saw only through the corner of her eyes, not having bothered to look directly at her.

"Why?" She whispered, taking a deep breath and running her fingers through her slightly messy hair. Her frustration apparent on her movements. Why would Yeji set them up like that?

Yeji shrugged, rested her chin on her hands that were placed on top of the game Yuna was still playing. Her gaze still focused on the girls who seemed all too awkward. There was an enormous amount of space between them, both had body language that showed they were uncomfortable and they seemed to have barely spoken. Lia actually looked to be praying for her early death as she stood in front of Chaeryeong.