Chapter 74

(author's note: please leave me your thoughts! and pls don't kill me <3 )

"Beautiful." Ryujin whispered.

Yeji only humming in response.

"I meant you."

"What?" Yeji asked, turning around and looking surprised to the proximity between them. The space between the two barely existent in that moment.

She was shocked by the sudden realization but didn't move. Couldn't bring herself to do so. Her gaze focused on the light reflecting on the other's eyes. It looked like the night sky filled with stars of different sizes and Yeji suddenly loved stargazing.

Each passing moment, her heartbeat felt stronger, louder. She's glad there's no way for the other to know that, she would surely tease her about it.

Did she notice? How Yeji tried her best to avoid gazing down at her lips. How she nearly flinched at the warmth against her skin that came from Ryujin's breathing?

If not then she surely felt the way Yeji's hand found it's way to the end of her jacket, tugging on it awkwardly. Preventing her own hand from doing what she first thought about.

She saw it. The moment Ryujin made the decision. The younger girl had that expression she always did when she's feeling determined. Before looking at her in a way that made her shiver.

It wasn't bad. No. But the way Ryujin looked at her terrified her.

If anyone asks, Yeji swears the world was in slow motion for a split second. Because she sees it. She can clearly see Ryujin move to execute her plan. And Yeji debates on what to do. As if she had all the time in the world.

As if Ryujin isn't about to kiss her.

Her heartbeat feels more like loud drumming against her chest, her hand gripping the other's jacket so tightly her knuckles turned white.

Ryujin gets close, far too close for someone with has many facades as Yeji. Far too close to be able to continue her act.

Yeji moves, just as Ryujin's lips were about to touch her. Causing the younger girl to freeze. Moving back far quicker than she approached her. Making the fact Yeji had been holding her all the more clear now.

"Sorry." Ryujin whispered, looking particularly nervous. Her hand running through her hair before she chuckled in what Yeji presumed to be shame and embarrassment. "I shouldn't have done that. I think I must have drank too much wine during dinner."

Yeji has given up on looking at Ryujin, looking at her feet instead. "So you're just blaming it on the wine?"

Ryujin nodded once she looked up, biting her lower lip before offering her a nervous smile.

The older of the two hummed, realizing she never let go of the other, keeping them one step apart at most.

"Blame this on alcohol then."

Ryujin was about to ask, she saw it, the furrowed eyebrows and the lips starting to part.

She never got to say whatever she was going to.

Yeji took the step. Closing the distance and bringing them impossibly close. So close she hardly had to move to kiss Ryujin.

It wasn't a grand gesture. It wasn't a kiss one would call memorable or that could be seen as passionate.

Their lips touched but as soon as they did, Yeji realized what she had just done. As if she hadn't just caused it herself. Pulling away before it could even be called a proper kiss.

The kiss ended before Ryujin left whatever daze she was on, leaving her staring in silence and making Yeji feel even weirder about her actions.

"I have to go."

Maybe she should dissect why she wanted to run. Why she was, in fact, running. Why Yeji kissed Ryujin only to leave her behind on a dark park by herself.

Perhaps she should think about that.

But she wouldn't. Not in that moment.

Because Yeji was already dealing with too much. Too many conflicting thoughts and emotions. Too much wants and needs.

Need to get away.

Want comfort.

Need distance.

Want...

Yeji hated it. But there she was, ringing the doorbell to her ex's.