Chapter 60

Author's note: i've been waiting for this twist since the start and can't wait to see your reactions. please leave your comments since those motivate me to write more

"He's a good option, Yeji."

"I'm fifteen, i don't want to choose yet."

Her mother placed her hand on her father's shoulder who looked far too frustrated from their discussion.

Yeji knew that they were simply trying to look out for her but it didn't make it any better. She had never and would never have an interest in the idea of marrying a stranger because her parents told her so.

Looking at the boy, she didn't feel anything. Unless disinterest counted. Objectively, she knew he would be considered cute by the other girls her age, and yet she couldn't feel such way about him.

"Just try to get along with him, for us." Her mother asked, nudging her forward in the boy's direction and Yeji reluctantly did as she was told. Playing along but knowing her mind wouldn't change.

Turns out the boy was fun but she still didn't think of him as a potential future husband. However, she wasn't opposed to spend time with her new friend. It was nice to have others her age that she could have fun with.

"I don't want to marry you." she blurted out, surprising the both of them. They were sitting on the garden at the back of her parents' house, after walking run around making small talk until they had grown tired.

"Good." he smiled at her, his dimples showing up when he did so. "No offense. You're fun and very pretty but I'm not interested."

"Good." Yeji started to play with the grass, pulling it and watching it leave the palm of her hands with the wind. "I don't like boys anyways."

He laughed, shaking his head. Probably taking it as her not being interested in dating. Though maybe that was it, Yeji hadn't actually shown any interest for a boy yet. So maybe there was actually something to be said about her preferences. Although she wouldn't dwell on such things.

They spoke about their lives and the boy named Chan told her all about his home country, Australia. She told herself one day she would visit it and he offered to show her around whenever she did. In the end of the day, she found a friend, not a husband.

"How was it?" her father asked, watching her walk inside their house after bidding the boy goodbye. Not bothering to take off her shoes in a last act of defiance. The dirt on her shoes leaving a trail behind her.

"It was fine." she responded, offering him a casual shrug.

"Just fine?"

"Yes, father. Just fine."

"Yeji, why are you being so difficult about this? You know how it works. Mother and I went through the same thing when we were your age."

Yeji wanted to roll her eyes but refrained from expressing her annoyance in such way, knowing it would only anger him more.

"Maybe it's because i'm not interested in finding someone to marry yet." She countered, crossing her arms with her most serious gaze focused on him.

"We aren't asking you to marry them now, Yeji." Her father shook his head, taking off his glasses and pinching the bridge of his nose. "We'll try again. You'll see, it will be better next time."

Yeji sighed, she felt stuck. Whatever she did she would be pushed to meet new people until she finally gave in. She knew her parents were as stubborn as she was and there was no way to stop the impending future. A future of meeting subpar boys who could only bore and disappoint her until she settled for the least dreadful one.

"Will you stop it if I choose someone?"

"That's all we have been asking of you."

"Okay. I can choose anyone?"

"Of course. Provided he's from a good family and of your age."

"No backing out. If he meets the requirements."

"Who is it?" Her father smiled, asking such question as if he had won this fight between them. But what he didn't know is that Yeji was about to do something so ridiculous that not even he could have prepared against it.

One day she would come to regret the words that came out of her mouth. One day she would look at what she had caused and curse herself. One day she would wish for things to be different than what she herself had caused.

But when you're fifteen and desperate, you don't consider the future implications of your actions.

Be careful what you wish for.

She heard that saying so many times. If only she had taken it to heart, maybe she wouldn't be in her current situation.

"Shin Ryujin." She hadn't thought it through. She hadn't even spoken about the girl in a year now. Never having met her in person after that very first day. And yet here she was, announcing her name as if it was the ultimate checkmate play. Trying to one up her parents in the smuggest way possible, a smile growing as she watched the shock on her father's face.

Surely they couldn't make such thing possible. She knew that much. It's not like she actually wanted it. Sure, she had a crush on the girl once upon a time and had grown curious about her as a person. But not to the point of willingly marrying her. They were nothing but strangers and Yeji wasn't that crazy to fall in love at first sight. She didn't even believe in such thing. Besides, she had left that behind prior to such plan forming in her mind. It was entirely out of convenience. It would at least busy her father for the following however long, trying to figure out how to proceed about it. Leaving her in peace for the near future.

Ultimately it was her foolish try at a power play against her parents. Ryujin fit the criteria. She was of a good family. Around her age. There was no reason for her father to break his promise to her.

One thing about the Hwangs is that they are people of their words. They pride themselves in it. Her father in particular. So to say that Yeji was amused seeing his face go through the five stages of grief was an understatement. She enjoyed every second of it.

Beaming triumphantly as she nearly skipped away from where her father stood, still trying to process her request.