Chapter 25

"Are you two a thing now?" Ryujin asked, sipping on her coffee as she looked across the table to find a nervous Lia. It was adorable how fidgety she would get whenever Chaeryeong was mentioned. She had never seen her act that way. Then again, she had mostly been FaceTiming her about her love life from all the way in France. This was the first time she got to see Lia be this way about someone in person.

"Not really." She admitted, pouting slightly before offering her a small smile. "We are figuring things out."

"Ah, I thought you had made it official already." She countered earning a soft slap on her forearm.

"Stop teasing me about it."

"I'm not." She defended, shrugging before taking a sip of her coffee and smiling at her best friend. "I think you two seem good for each other."

Lia looked to be deep in thought for a few seconds before clicking her tongue and leaning back on her chair. "That's what makes it scarier."

Ryujin hummed, that was both stupid but logical. Of course something that had so much potential would be scary. What if it went wrong? Then it would hurt even more than losing something not nearly as good. "Is that why you walked away?"

"Yes." She admitted, looking a little embarrassed about it if her gaze focusing on her drink were anything to go by. "And because I was confused."

"Confused?"

She hummed.

"Did you not know how you felt?"

"I knew I liked her but I suppose I hadn't fully accepted it. It was scary to admit I liked someone so much."

Ryujin mulled it over for a second before chuckling, shaking her head in amusement. "I can't relate. But I'll trust your words."

"That's because you've never liked someone."

"I've liked people before." She defended, slightly offended by her friend's statement. It made her sound so heartless. "I've just never been scared of my own feelings."

"I know." Lia stated, looking far too amused for having bothered her. "Your time will come."

Ryujin chuckled again before getting quiet. Maybe this wasn't the best topic of conversation because it reminded her of her current situation. And for a second, she wished that Yeji and her were as messy as Lia and Chaeryeong. At least it would mean there were feelings between them.

"Ryu, I'm sorry."

She waved her hand, trying to make it seem like everything was okay. As Lia looked worryingly at her. She must have sensed how her mood had dropped. "It's okay."

Her friend then pursed her lips, seemingly thinking over her next words before actually letting them out. Her fingers tracing the cut she had been holding onto.

"How are you and Yeji?"

A shrug was all she could muster in immediate response to such question. What was there to say? Things were the same as always. Cold, distant, emotionless. And every single time she thought progress was made, she was proven wrong. Sure, Yeji didn't insult her as often but that was mostly because Ryujin wasn't as outspoken about her attraction or pursue of the girl.

"Same old."

Lia seemed to understand and nodded softly before giving her a sympathetic smile. As if she felt bad about her current situation. Something that only made her feel even worse about it. She hated when she saw how others thought of their situation as hopeless. It made all her motivation to work on bettering it wash away.

"Chaeryeong said she thinks you're a good match for Yeji."

Pause. Chaeryeong said what? That couldn't be. For a moment Ryujin was sure her ears were deceiving her because there was no way anyone thought she would be a good match for Yeji. Why would they? Yeji had literally no interest in her. She didn't even find her attractive which was something extremely rare. And to make matters worse, they butted heads all the time. They had never truly connected. So what would have made Yeji's best friend think that Ryujin would be a good match for the Hwang Yeji? Was she blind?