Chapter 25

"Alex, wake up."

"Don't kill me right now," Alex mumbled. Her loose hold on Theundruk tightened slightly, prepared in case Pietro tried something.

|| Why would he? ||

"I don't trust anyone who wakes me up," Alex replied to Theundruk. "Especially when they've tried to kill me before."

|| I don't understand. Why are you together if he has tried to kill you? ||

"Don't you start too. He apologised and I forgave him because I'm emotionally broken."

Alex had forgotten Pietro was there, only reminded when he whispered in her ear, "Do you regularly talk to yourself?"

"Only when the company I'm with is boring." Alex offered Pietro her right arm and he pulled her upright. At some point during Theundruk's training, she had fallen asleep on the floor and the dumb stone hadn't cared enough to wake her up again.

|| I didn't know humans slept in beds ||

"And the other human on the bed wasn't a sign?"

|| Anomalies exist ||

"Jokes on you, I don't even know that word."

"What's wrong with you?" Pietro had guided Alex to the bed while she was speaking to Theundruk. She had to stop responding to the stone, at least out loud— Pietro was actually looking concerned about her. "Don't answer that actually, you'll just find a way to blame me."

"You'd deserve it." Alex laid on the bed, tucking the blanket under her head so she wouldn't be bothered by the softness of the pillow.

"How did you get on the floor?"

"I walked there, obviously."

"Oh, obviously." Pietro mocked, the gap between the curtains showing just enough light to highlight his shirtless body. Alex's eyes admired him slightly as he moved across the room before she caught herself.

|| Dopamine, fascinating ||

"I'm thinking about food." Snapped Alex, making Pietro lookup,

"You want me to get you breakfast? It's nearly nine."

"No, it's fine. Give me five minutes and I'll be up."

"You look like shit. I'm not letting you leave that bed."

"Threats don't work if I like the sound of them." Retorted Alex, only to blush a second later. Pietro had heard it too, clearing his throat awkwardly and disappearing into the bathroom.

The other side of the bed was still faintly warm from where Pietro had slept and Alex reached out to it. She wasn't too tired, just in pain from sleeping on the floor and it always took her a while to wake up no matter how little sleep she'd got the night before.

Theundruk had been brutal, pushing Alex again and again until she'd finally collapsed out of exhaustion.

It was worth it though.

True to their word, Theundruk hadn't given Alex any new powers but the enhancement on her own was even better than shooting lasers or controlling minds as Loki did with his scepter. Not that Alex didn't want to do that, but like Theundruk had said, they'd barely scratched the surface of what Alex would be able to achieve.

So far, she could teleport anything to her now, from anywhere in the world. Theundruk had started by getting her to teleport a pen from halfway across the room and together they'd progressed until Alex summoned a giant stuffed giraffe from Harrods.