Chapter 37

"Shit," Alex choked out, as an androids' hand tightened around her throat. She held her breath and a second later the Ultron got torn in two as the top half of it vanished into thin air,

Alex glanced around and brushed a hand down her suit, cleaning off some of the dust. Next, she used Theundruk to check if there were still people in the area and teleported to the closest people she could feel. As her eyes adjusted to the darkness, she noticed a woman and a group of children huddling in a corner.

Slowly, Alex spoke, addressing the woman, "My name is Alessandra, you need to leave the city."

They didn't seem to understand her, the woman had her arms held out in front of the children in what looked like a vague attempt to protect them.

Alex let out a strange noise, half yawn and half groan as she turned to find one of the twins to help translate. As she did so, she nearly tripped over one of the children lying on the floor.

"Please don't eat me." The child, no more than five, whispered.

"Huh? I wasn't going to." Alex crouched down next to the child who shrunk back and raised a dirty hand to cover their mouth, "Are you hurt?"

"My mummy says you're a monster." Alex's heart dropped.

"Well that's not entirely right, look." Very carefully, Alex unclipped her hood and pulled her mask off her face, "I'm just like you."

The child reached out and gently touched her cheek. Alex tried not to move, and when the child withdrew their hand, Alex held out the mask,

"Do you want it? You can look like me then and I'll pretend you're a monster."

"I don't want to be a monster."

"Neither do I. I wanna protect you from the monsters, cause right now they're wanting to take a visit to this little city. I need to get you and your family out of here, can you trust me?"

"Where will you take us?"

"Do you have grandparents or family who live somewhere else?"

"My daddy is in Italy."

"Hey look, I'm from Italy too, I can easily take you there." The child nodded then spoke rapidly in Sokovian to the others. Slowly, the woman stood up and approached Alex,

"Safe?"

"Yes." The woman nodded at this and allowed Alex to teleport her away.

<~~>

Thor was being overwhelmed slightly with at least fourteen of Ultron's sentries on top of him and holding him down so he couldn't summon Mjolnir or fight back.

"Can I have some help please?"

"I'll be there for you," sang Alex, "Like I've been there before."

"Very funny, come on."

Alex popped into view, a metal head under her arm, "Where's Mjolnir?"

Thor managed to jerk his head towards where his hammer was resting on top of a robot. Alex teleported over to it and began examining it,

"What...are you doing?"

"I've never really thought about the writing on the side." Alex traced a finger over it, mouth moving slightly as she read it.

"Yes, it's very interesting. Now—"

"I've got it!" Alex pointed to the words engraved on Mjolnir, "he who is worthy shall wield the powers of Thor."

"Alex," Thor's face contorted into one of pain as he began getting shot at. The aim wasn't too accurate, hitting the Ultron's holding him down more than him but he could feel some of them.

"Well inanimate objects cannot wield something— they literally can't move to do so. Only people can be worthy, so it matters not that someone can pick up Mjolnir or but rather if they are permitted to have your powers. Just because someone is worthy, doesn't mean they really, actually worthy."

Thor began writhing again, trying to shake the Ultron pinning his hand down. Alex was still rambling about Mjolnir,

"So that means I wasn't worthy. I know I was allowed to wield Mjolnir once but I didn't summon any lightning or even use it as a weapon—."

"Alessandra!"

"I'm being smart!" Finally, thankfully, Alex closed her eyes and her arm was extended out as though reaching for something. After a moment, she snapped her fingers.

All the robots vanished into thin air.

"Move," Alex commanded in a calm voice and Thor did. When he was standing next to her, Alex's eyes opened, a vein of gold running through them, and almost instantly, the robots appeared again, but this time they were all gathered together like a herd of sheep and when Alex snapped her fingers, a smallish, seemingly solid metal container felt out of the sky and crushed them instantly.

Another snap of Alex's fingers and the container vanished.

"I did it, " Alex smiled, "I actually did it."

"I see you're liking the mind stone then."

"What? Oh no, they're an absolute bitch."