Chapter 40

Alex teleported into the air holding one of the sentries. Using Theundruk, she disabled the flying mechanism on his boots and then let him go and teleported back to the ground. She watched him land with a thud before turning around and continuing to fight.

An arrow flew towards her and again, she raised Theundruk, but this time to deflect the arrow. She barely raised it in time, the arrow nearly hitting her face as she struck out and knocked the arrow away.

"Watch it Katniss," she shouted, teleporting Theundruk away and getting another knife to stab another soldier in his eye. Spinning around, she threw the same knife at a robot with such accuracy that it went tore through where the male genitalia would be if they were human.

A thunderous roar echoed across the city and Alex grabbed a child by the back of their neck to save them from running in front of a car.

She teleported, left the child on a ship, and then reappeared next to Clint,

"What just happened?"

"Ultron's going to destroy the whole world."

"Really?" Alex had to shout over the screams, "I had no idea that was his real plan."

Alex was preparing to teleport back to the core when a woman grabbed onto her sleeve, "Please, find my brother."

"Of course, where could he be?"

"We were in the market when he got separated from me."

Clint and Alex exchanged a look.

"I'll go?" Alex offered only for Clint to shake his head.

"No. You need to get some of the others on a ship, you can't teleport all of us away."

|| What ||

"I'll see you soon, Dad."

|| No, no, no. It was meant to be you ||

"What now, Theundruk." Alex raised her hand to her ear, trying to make it look like she was talking to someone via headphones rather than head thoughts.

|| You need to rescue the child, Costel. That's what I saw, it's what needs to happen ||

"Well yes, but I'm helping the others. Clint can get the child. He's Hufflepuff, they're excellent finders."

|| You don't understand. I don't even understand. It was meant to be you, otherwise... Alex, you must find Pietro ||

Alex could feel her mind being pulled and she tried to resist it, "I have my assignment, Theundruk. It'll be fine, we can check on Pietro after I've got Steve safe."

Somewhere, maybe just two streets over, Ultron was tearing up the streets of Novi Grad with bullets.

<~~>

Pietro ran through the city, looking for Wanda. They had been split up earlier to make sure everyone was safe but Pietro knew he had to keep on checking in on her incase she became too overwhelmed.

He turned a corner, the sound of guns firing getting so loud it would be called almost deafening by anyone else, but to Pietro, it was a beautiful sound that only gave him more adrenaline.

Wanda wasn't in this area, that he knew because she'd been left by the core, but Pietro decided he could be delayed slightly in time to save someone else.

At first, he couldn't see where the bullets were coming from, the air was so full of dust. There was a plane noise and he tilted his head up, just in time to see the plane switch courses and aim at a familiar figure.

Pietro didn't have time to think, he could only run towards the bullets being fired at Hawkeye and a small child. In his mind, they were travelling in slow motion and he could see the path they were going to take. He carefully moved the bullets, adjusting them so they rather than hitting the intended targets, they would hit the wall instead and become harmless.

He was so focused on moving the bullets that were going to hit Clint and the child, he missed the two heading towards him.

Time resumed itself and, too late, he felt them hit him.

It didn't hurt, just two light pressures against his chest. The ground seemed to be moving beneath him so he leant one way then to other to balance himself. A spot of blood has bloomed over his heart and through the murkiness that had hit the moment the bullets entered him, Pietro was vaguely aware of a growing pain.

There was horror on Clint's face and Pietro couldn't help but smile,

"You didn't see that coming?"

A/N Well, did you?