Chapter 39

"Come on Avengers, it's time to work for a living."

"I'm sorry, were we not already?" Pietro heard Alex's quip through the earpiece and it allowed him to laugh.

"Thank you, Pietro— my darling, for laughing. I do try to be funny and no one ever appreciates it."

"I do, Alessandra," Thor reassured her.

"Thank you too. You want to try the de-thor-rillator?"

"Are you sure you can manage it?"

"Absolutely."

"Come to me then."

Tony tapped into the comms, "Male one, you'd probably like this."

Pietro saw a flash of lightning and the skies began to darken. He looked up and skidded to a halt.

Alex— it had to be because he couldn't quite see her face but she was the only one who could teleport— was holding Thor against her as they teleported across the sky.

Every time they reappeared and began falling, Thor sent down another lighting bolt and then Alex took them away again to a spot a little further on. The entire sky was lighting up and Ultron's robots were being vapourised instantly.

"Ready? Go!" At Alex's command, Thor flung his hammer at the floor and another burst of lighting followed after it.

The entire city lit up with a swift and unified flash of light, the metal Ultrons only conducting the electricity to greater potency as all the strokes of lighting returned to their master.

Within moments, the entire northern area was free of Ultrons, Pietro even did a quick lap to check and there was none,

"Holy shit."

"Language," Steve muttered though he sounded just as awed as Pietro felt.

Thor and Alex landed back on the floor as the clouds in the sky dispersed as quickly as they had appeared. Thor patted Alex on the back before muttering something into her ear. Alex nodded and again, they disappeared.

When Alex reappeared, she was alone and there was already a sentry reaching towards her. Pietro threw himself forwards at a speed he only seemed able to reach when Alex was in trouble, tearing through the metal and wires that made it alive before she was even aware of it being there.

Alex turned and her eyebrows furrowed, looking between the robotic mess on the floor and Pietro who was panting, "Oh, hey Pietro."

Pietro couldn't respond for a moment, clutching at his side as he caught his breath. When he felt better, he glared at Alex, "You need to watch your back."

"Why would I, when I've got you?" Suddenly she threw a knife at him and Pietro had to dodge. It met its target, a second sentry that Pietro had failed to notice and was about to attack him.

"You almost hit me." He protested before running around the church, getting rid of some of the sentries.

"Watch your back." She was almost annoyingly happy, teleporting from sentry to sentry to destroy them.

"You almost hit me!"

"Think of it as a trust-" she got cut off as Black Widow shouted her name. She teleported towards her and Pietro took the moment to check on Wanda. She was doing well, using her power to destroy the sentries before they even had a chance to get near the thing they were protecting.

Alex appeared back next to him, rubbing her forehead. Pietro remembered her saying that teleporting too much made her head hurt, and without asking, he picked her up and sat her down on a bench,

"Gotta do my job." She said, not even flinching at the change of scenery.

"We've already done it," Pietro responded, and he was right. The area was clear of robots and only a single Ultron, the real one, was floating in the sky.

"Is that the best you can do!" Thor shouted from inside the church.

"Great idea Thor, piss off the person already trying to kill us," Alex whispered to Pietro. She took his hand, gave it a quick squeeze then let go and teleported away.

"This is the best I can do. This is exactly what I wanted. All of you, against all of me. How can you possibly hope to stop me?"

"Like the old man said." Pietro looked around; to Wanda, who bore a fresh scar on her cheek, to Captain America, looking affronted at being called old, to Black Widow and Clint standing back to back with weapons lowered, each trusting the other to
protect them, to Alex holding her head— and middle finger— high, to Thor who was tying his hair back with a scrunchie, to Tony Stark.

"Together." Tony finished as the Hulk burst through the church doors.