Chapter 14: Dawn of the Streetkids

{Time stamp: 12:06 am, city streets, Sero's POV}

The broadcast soon ended, and the uncanny silence turned into scuffled panic. Nobody knew who did it, what it was supposed to mean or what even was going on. I was the only one in the room with my head on straight because I was the cause of this.

And now, I wasn't too sure how I'd mask my surprise after finding out the message Lyn-San broadcasted on the big screen was all over town, and not only that, but that she wanted me to escape and find her. Looking around me, I figured everybody scrambling around, would be a big enough distraction for me to get out without being noticed. And if anyone noticed me missing, they'd have a probable cause in mind. That I left out of fear or attempted to look for the person who did this, it was a fair guess and good cover.

Slowly stepping back and putting my phone away, I reached behind to get a hold of the doorknob to the twin doors leading to the outside. I pushed them open, slowly, and checked one last time to see if the coast was clear. Most of my classmates were out theorizing, already exploring the school to find the culprit or asking questions. Everything seemed okay, until I locked eyes with Tenya.

The look in his eyes concerned me for a moment. He seemed confused as to why I was leaving, then his expression changed. After examining me, where I was, what I was doing, where I was about to go, it wasn't long before his smartass figured out how sus I looked, and jumped to conclusions like he does. I couldn't humor him any longer, and I didn't want to wait longer than I should. Besides, the chase had already started now that he was suspecting me. I gave him a toothy grin and brought my hand up to my forehead, using two fingers to salute to the guy before turning around and bolting.

The chase was on now, for sure. And Tenya was right on my tail.

I could hear the sound of Iida's quick steps catching up to mine, so I managed to think fast enough, using my tape to swing from the ceiling and cover more ground. Outside, I had better cover and more chances to escape without getting caught and dragged back. I gave it one last rough swing, kicking the doors open and launching myself out into the air. This was my main domain of traversal, Iida would have a much harder time catching up to me when I'm getting more air than he ever could. I strapped my helmet on, displaying the map Lyn-San sent me and making my way through the highlighted sections she displayed for me to follow. She told me to fly didn't she? Damn right that's what I was gonna do then.

Swinging between buildings was always a fulfilling rush of adrenaline, and perfectly satisfied my need to get outside and do something with myself. I perfected my endurance for this purpose, of covering more ground in less time. It was a feeling better than flying could ever be like. It was a feeling of speed and carefully calculated trajectory, mixed perfectly with the sensation of weightlessness.

But I wasn't nearly as fast as Iida was on the ground, and he could run faster than the cars on the road. Between swings, I would look down at the city streets, and notice how he was keeping up with me surprisingly well throughout this entire chase. I had to lose him, but at this rate, with me in my bright yellow suit, I stick out too much in his peripheral. He won't lose me any time soon, I had to think. How was I supposed to lose him?

Suddenly, a rush of wind grazed me mid-air into my next swing. It was a blur of dark color with a bit of cautionary orange, and I narrowly avoided it. It was a person, with bright purple gloves and boots, the rest of their attire was street chic, more rugged than the high tech platformers and gloves-

Wait, that's Lyn-San! I've seen her use that gear before. And soon enough, I saw her mask, which was enough to confirm. That and a cute tuft of frizzy brown hair sticking out from under her hood.

Her boots let her stick to the walls and run completely parallel to them, the gloves work the same, and made it easier for her to grip to certain surfaces. But after observing her for a little, it seems she made some adjustments to her gear. This grapple-hook like contraption kept shooting out of her gloves, and she could use them to swing just like me. And her boots gave this illusionary effect of some kind of double-jump, or boost. Damn, she took inspiration from my traversal techniques to improve her gear. I gotta say, I'm flattered.