100 days (iwaoi soulmate AU)

🖤🖤Author: Hello, welcome to another one-shot! I hope you enjoy it!!🖤🖤

~Rules for this AU~
~Everyone is born with a set of numbers on the inside of their index finger. The number is the number of days until that person meets their soulmate. The number counts down until it hits zero, and you meet the person you're meant to be with. Some people are lucky and meet their soulmates early in life, and others...  It can take almost an entire lifetime.~

Oikawa stared intently at his index finger, looking at the way the numbers curved and each unique feature of them. 100 that was the number that started to make him feel anxious. He had watched the number dwindle down every day of his life for almost 21 years, and yet now he was beginning to become nervous. One hundred days, that's all. That would be it. He'd find the person he was meant to be with. Not only that, but it would also be his 21st birthday. It was funny to him that he was going to meet this person on the same day that he had been born with the collection of numbers on his finger. It was a bit ironic, actually.

He sat on his bed, still in his pajama bottoms with no shirt on with the blanket sprawled about messily. He began to wonder about this unknown person. He wondered what their personality was like if they like aliens like him or maybe monsters instead. What kind of hobbies they were into. He wondered if they liked milk bread or what their favorite food was. These thoughts started to run in his head like they were trying to run a race. He had never thought about any of this before; he'd never been curious about it. He had watched his friends meet the person they were supposed to, and everything just seemed to always fit, but he worried. What if he was the exception? What if his soulmate didn't like him and only went along with fate without any true feelings at all? This thought made his chest hurt. The fear of never being loved by the person that was supposed to that he hadn't even met yet. This anxiety was more than he had expected.

He rand his fingers through his hair and got out of his bed, dragging his body to the bathroom, where he looked in the mirror. He styled his chestnut brown hair and freshened himself up before getting dressed and ready to head to work, where he was the only one who hadn't met his soulmate yet. It had always been that way. He had always had a higher number than everyone when it came to the number on his finger. And he'll never forget the day in Math when he was in the first year in high school when the teacher made everyone figure out what age they'd be when they met theirs. Oikawa was the only one that wasn't going to find his in high school.
It stung a bit every time he'd watch as someone met theirs, and them be happy and excited while he'd feel more and more alone.

He buttoned up his turquoise shirt and tucked it into his pair of black pants. Then grabbed his favorite Travel mug that had an alien on it, filled it with coffee, and headed to the train station to go to work. He got on the train and sat down, taking notice of the people next to them. He could see some of the people around him, numbers, 0,10,36,60. All numbers signifying when these people would find their person, and yet not a single one of them seemed to be on edge. The people with the number 0 seemed to be happy and content, not a single sign of anxiety, regardless of the fact they would be meeting their soulmate at some point that day, maybe even on the train.

Oikawa looked down at his finger again, staring at it like he had that morning. The same questions and more started to run once again through his head. His heart began to race; He became sweaty, and he felt his chest tighten. The train came to a stop. Oikawa stood up and rushed off the train, needing to get the fresh air that awaited outside. He took a breath and leaned against a nearby wall. He hadn't ever felt like this. He had never felt as insecure and unconfident in his life.

50 days.... that's how many days had passed since that day. Oikawa stared at his finger, which now had double digits for the first time ever. It wasn't a string of numbers across his finger. He sat there at the desk where he worked. He was busy reading through some assignments his boss had emailed him. Reading through them, his eye caught a name that he couldn't shake (Iwaizumi Hajime.)
For some reason, that name seemed to make him feel weird, like he knew that name eve. Though he had never seen it, heard it before.