Herding Cats

Getting the Avengers together as a group in any idea of organization or timeliness was a battle that you had finally given up on after years of struggle. It just wasn't worth it anymore. Even if you told them that departure was hours before it was really scheduled, you somehow still ended up being late to everything.

"You guys, this is like herding cats, I swear. How is it so frustratingly impossible for a group as coordinated as you all, to get onto a plane at the same time? If this were a mission you'd be gone already."

"Sorry, (Y/N), it's a rare occurrence for every one of us to travel at the same time," Thor shrugged, throwing suitcases into the jet with far too much enthusiasm and no care as to where they landed. "This is a great deal of togetherness for us."

"We must also take care to consider the weight of passengers, their luggage requirements, equal storage distribution when loading the plane, and coordinate the most efficient method of deplaning at our arrival location," Vision added with a nod, satisfied in the thoroughness of his response and thought into a well-planned flight.

"That still doesn't explain why you're all late getting to the hangar bay, genius," you scoffed, nudging him with your elbow. "Everything you've mentioned takes place after everyone gets here on time, as if that would have ever happened." You glanced around the room, finding one particular person far later than the rest, though you weren't all that surprised.

"Where's Stark?"

"He told me to let you know that he's flying in on his own," Steve replied, pausing to give you a quick kiss as he arrived with your luggage.

With a shake of your head, you sighed and took your bag from Steve to bring it to your seat, strapping yourself into the harness when he finally dropped into the seat next to you. "He isn't using the suit for some dumb party trick is he? Did Chris ask him to do that?"

"No, I just think that he doesn't want to be sardined in this tin can with the rest of us."

You pulled out your phone and shot a quick text to Evans to let him know that the team was about to leave so that he could meet you at the airport, even though you had told him several he didn't have to. "Hey, Clint? You have the clearance to land at LAX, right?" There was a long pause that made your stomach turn with each passing second. "Right?"

"Uh...yeah..." he stammered coyly from the pilot seat, "was I supposed to do that? I thought you did."

"I swear I'm nothing more than a mother without actual children," you groaned. "Yeah, Barton, I've got it."

~~~

After the cramped flight that was packed so tight that it had you questioning just how close you really were to the team, the ride to Chris' house was much more comfortable and civilized. He insisted that he pick you and Steve up on his own, with the rest of the team piling into limos lined up at the gate. As each Avenger left the jet, flashes and waves came from the airport windows, their fans anxious to get a glimpse of every one of them.

"Should we go in?" Steve asked. "We probably have a little time to do some pictures."

"Sweetie, unless you called ahead and set up proper security with the airport, no. I feel pretty safe in assuming that you didn't, since we just barely got permission to land here in the first place." You stood next to him and pushed up on your toes to kiss his cheek, pausing to wipe the lipstick away that you had left behind. "You're really thoughtful though, Steve. I'll see if I can arrange a quick appearance before we leave in a couple days, okay?"

"Thanks, doll, I think it would be a nice thing to do."

"Hey, old man! It's about time you showed up!"