Making Arrangements

He had no reason to feel this way, no responsibility to the gnawing pain in his gut that squeezed acid into his throat as he looked at the man in front of him. A man that he thought he knew after so many years, but now saw no recognition in him. No reason for the shame that killed any sense of pity for a man who looked so utterly destroyed, no need to own the remorse for actions he would never even consider for himself. But, here he was, nonetheless.

"You need to find somewhere else to stay, Steve, sorry," Tony said flatly. "I'll give you an hour to gather up your stuff."

Steve wasn't shocked to hear it, and he couldn't be angry over it, but it still stung after this many years in what used to be his home. This was what his life would be now, and it was of his own doing, but the acceptance hadn't quite come just yet. "I can't even have the night to make arrangements?"

"They're called hotels. New York is full of them."

"Fine," Steve relented, standing from the couch. "sorry that I thought I could use my old room, but 'spose I should've asked before showing up here. I guess I really am on my own."

"Guess so."

"So, you're the genius, do you have any ideas for what I do now? I don't even know where to start with a...a divorce. I don't know how this works. What would you do?"

"Well, for starters I wouldn't fuck another man's wife. Much less one of my closest friends who was basically like a brother and trusted me as much as Chris did. You know, when Chris dusted, you really took taking care of his wife to a whole new level."

"Perfect, Stark, thanks," Steve sighed heavily, "so helpful. Alright, let's have it. Is everyone outside ready to take turns at me, or what?"

A snide smile curled at the corners of Tony's mouth, but it didn't last. He was mad as hell at the guy, but he was still the decent one in the room. It was just much harder to play and he couldn't fight the urge to not try. "I asked if anyone cared to join me and no one seemed to give a shit. Well, other than Bucky, who tried to stop me. Said that you already had a visit from Sam to follow the left hook that got across all he wanted to say to you. He's with (Y/N) right now, and I'm pretty sure you've lost all of them, Steve."

"I am too."

"I heard that Barnes called Evans in to help-"

"Hold on. I'm sorry," Steve paused, setting his bag down again and turning to face Tony, the stern shift causing his teammate to stand a bit taller in response, "he did what?"

"He called in someone who can help keep her off the roof, Rogers," Tony stepped closer, cautiously making his point. "You should be thankful that he was able to get there as fast as he did."

"You'd think so, but that's not exactly the word I would use."

---

"You're an idiot."

"Go away, Buck," you groaned, head buried solidly under your blankets and wishing the universe had given you invisibility. Knowing him as well as you did, you knew that he wouldn't give up so easily and it let you to bury yourself in your cocoon even more. "You're too much, I'm fine. I'm a grown up and I can handle this."

"Coulda fooled me," he shrugged.

"I know that I had a few too many, but I know that I didn't black out and I definitely don't recall asking you to come up here."

"You didn't."

"Then you're trespassing."

"Or," he sighed, "it could be that I'm a concerned friend who wants to make sure that you're okay when they've never seen you like this before. What the hell were you thinking?"