Unkie Chris

"She thinks that DC is better," Chris groaned, leaning back in his chair to distance himself from the traitor that he called his girlfriend. "Dragged my ass to that 'flying-rat-versus-super-nerd' movie, and let me tell ya, (Y/N), all it did was prove my point."

"That Henry Cavill is gorgeous and could probably kick your ass into next week?"

"YES!" Natalia agreed eagerly, standing to reach her fist across the table for you in her excitement. "Fuck, I like her, Evans. I can see why you fell so hard."

Chris' eyes widened until they nearly bulged from his head and his mouth dropped open wide in disbelief at what he was hearing. His eyes darted from her to you and back, and for once he was at a complete loss for words, though you were doing no better.

"Shit, too soon?" she grimaced.

You took your glass in hand, shivering slightly at the cold condensation as it met your skin, relieving some of the fire that you felt in your embarrassment. Holding the straw gently between your lips, you glanced up at Chris and he at you, quickly turning away to force him into answering.

"Uh, no," he hesitated, watching for your reaction, "not too soon. I'll admit it. I was a lovesick puppy nipping at her ankles since the day I saw her. It took a little setting straight to get me to see that she just wasn't for me."

"By that he means Steve knocking him out. Twice."

"Hold up," she stopped with a shake of her head. With the gentle movement, the waves in her long hair brushed against her shoulders with each small laugh she let out, and you immediately noticed the shift in his focus to watch her. His eyes practically glossed over and he was gone. "You never told me that you got K.O'd by Captain America! How could you not tell me that? Do you realize how many good years of shit-giving I could get outta something that embarrassing?"

"Evans, blink."

"Hmm?" he startled, quickly snapping his head towards you. "Right...yeah. Sorry, what were you saying, babe?"

"Wow, your loss, man," you laughed, standing to take their glasses into the café for refills. "She was saying that as soon as I walk away she wants to blow you under the table. But I think you're the one who's blowing it, kid." You gave Natalia a quick wink and a smirk before you turned away, trying to contain your laughter at the complete shock covering Chris' paling expression.

"I'll say it again, I like her," she turned to him, grabbing his hands with a quiet giggle in her voice that he so loved to hear, and loved that you were the one to bring it out in her today. "Chris, she's my Steve!"

~~~

When you got back to the tower it was already darkened and silent, but it was a welcome sight and all you wanted was your bed and a good night of sleep, now that CJ had finally started to learn his night and day routine. By now, Steve should've had the little guy all tucked in, so you grabbed two glasses and a bottle of wine on your way past the bar and quickly made your way up to your room. When you reached your door you leaned in, resting your ear against it to make sure it was quiet on the other side. When you were fully satisfied, you slowly opened it to see Steve sitting up against the headboard with a tablet in hand that provided the only light in the room beyond the dim glow of streetlights.

"Hey, baby," he whispered, "how was it?"

"She's really sweet," you nodded, setting the glasses and bottle on his bedside table for him to open and pour as you started getting ready to join him in bed. "She's really perfect for him, as far as I could tell in that short time. And let me tell you, that boy is gone."

"Good."

"Hey, knock it off," you warned. "I know that tone, and there's no need. Ancient history, Rogers."