Mine

Chris sat on one side of your bed with Steve standing next to him, Sebastian and Bucky on the other side. With a few flashes of light and a handful of questions, the reporters finally left just in time to take care of official business that you didn't want them to hear. Steve took the pen that was left behind by your nurse and paused, nodding in resolution to put it to the paper sitting on the table over your lap.

"Steve, wait," Chris interrupted in a near panic and grabbing his wrist, "are you sure about this? This is a permanent decision. No going back."

"Yes, we're sure."

"What's with you, man? You're getting worked up over nothing," Sebastian scoffed. "I think it's pretty fucking cool."

Chris groaned and rubbed his palms over his eyes, exhaling loudly and leaning forward to rest his elbows on his thighs. "Permanent. You guys, come on."

Steve straightened and furrowed his brow, looking at his friend and not knowing what to say. Instead, he looked to you and tilted his head towards him for you to take over. "Chris," you said calmly with an extended hand, "come here."

"You okay?" he replied quickly, standing at your side with a renewed energy, still in the mindset of your protector even hours later and with your superhero husband at your side. The lack of sleep coupled with the anxiety directed towards Steve for what he was trying to do wasn't helping to calm it in the least.

"Take him." You held the tiny baby up towards him, waiting for him to reach out and scoop him up from you, but it didn't happen. "Come on, he won't break, I promise. You should hold him." With a little more coaxing from everyone in the room, he finally reached out and took the bundle, immediately bringing him to his chest to support him as if he were the most delicate thing he had ever touched. With gentle hushes and coos and a soft kiss to his head, Chris began to rock back and forth with your new son, enthralled in the moment and turning away long enough for Steve to complete the task at hand.

"There. Done."

"Son of a-" Chris spun on his heel and snapped, quickly quieting to a harsh whisper. "You're already using your kid for trickery. Nice, guys. What parenting book did you find that in?"

Bucky grabbed the paper from the table and gave it an approving smile, nudging Seb with his metal shoulder and knocking him into the bedside dresser, grabbing him just before he fell onto his already broken hand. "Sorry! Sorry!" he laughed, bringing his counterpart back onto his feet. "I think this is great, and I'm not jealous even a little bit that I wasn't first."

"You're his godfather, Buck," Steve yawned, the lack of sleep now catching up to him as well. "I don't think there's much to be jealous of." He sat on the edge of your bed and leaned over into it, resting his head on your shoulder and pulling his feet into the bed with him. "Missed you," he whispered contently, intertwining his fingers with yours and closing his eyes. Unable to resist his slow breaths and relaxed body next to yours, you succumbed to sleep easily, leaving the others to return the baby to the nursery for you.

"I'll do it," Bucky announced, taking the little one from Chris. "First godfather task underway!"

Once he left the room and it was just he and Sebastian left awake, Chris gently took the paper from your table and read it with a sigh, wiping away a few tears as they spilled from his long lashes and onto the official document in his hands. "Do you believe it? I never would've thought in a million years..." he faded, handing the paper to Sebastian, watching you and Steve sleep contently next to him.

"I think it has a nice ring to it," his friend agreed. "Christopher James Sebastian Rogers. It's a little wordy, but it sounds like one kick-ass kid if you ask me." He stood silently for a few minutes, but the reaction he was waiting for never came; the long silence filling the room became palpable and uncomfortable. "Hey, Evans? You okay?"