𝘊𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 21

"Hey, do you know where Miriam is today?"

Tyler looks up from his phone at me, raising a confused eyebrow. "No idea. We don't talk unless it's necessary so I'm probably not the person you want to ask."

I hum and shift the strap of my bag so it sits more comfortably on my shoulder. "Well, did you hear her mention anything?"

"Nope," he replies, emphasizing the p. "Considering how close you guys are, shouldn't you be the one with answers regarding her whereabouts?"

"She only told me that she wouldn't be able to make it to her shift and had asked for someone else to cover for her."

"You didn't ask for specifics?"

"No, I don't like to pry for information when it's obvious someone wants me to," I shrug. "If you want me in your business, tell me straight up. Don't make me work for it, it's annoying and unnecessary."

Tyler snorts and locks his phone, hiding it in his pocket. "Isn't it your fault you don't know where she is then?"

"I mean, I guess. But she was flaunting the fact she wouldn't be at work in this way that was just too annoying. I didn't want to give her what she wanted. Immature, I know," I huff.

"I don't know what to tell you. I doubt that anyone else knows about her plans."

Welp, guess I'll have to hear about everything whenever I see Miriam again. It's not like I'm concerned about her well-being or dying to figure out what she's up to--I'm just curious to know what it was she had to do that's so important she couldn't come to her shift. She's a pretty hard-worker, rarely takes days off from what I've heard. There must be something serious happening tonight.

As I'm waving goodbye to Tyler and about to start my trek home, I notice a familiar person stepping out of the pub, two large paper bags that seem to be brimming with food clutched tightly in her arms.

"Oh, hey Nicole," Delilah greets.

"That's a lot of food," I comment. I find it hard to believe that she'll be finishing that all on her own. "Where's the party at?"

"Funny you should say that, because there is a party," she grins. "It's Jordan's birthday. We're having a little celebration at the clubhouse."

"Oh wow, happy birthday to him."

"Yup, turned fifty today, the old bastard," she snickers.

"What a way to treat your elders," I joke sarcastically.

She scoffs and jerks her head to the side, flicking a few strands of hair out of her face. "Considering he's called me a slut along with a multitude of other crude things, referring to him as 'bastard' is me being nice." I find myself momentarily at a loss for words, not sure how to respond to such a confession. "Don't worry, I'm used to it and besides that, he's a decent guy so I kinda forgive him. Well, decent compared to some of the others, at least."

"Still, it's not necessary for him to call you that," I point out in a mumbled voice.

"'Course it isn't," she chuckles, bouncing the bags up in her arms to keep them from slipping out of her grasp. "But as a pornstar, I expect it. It's easier to just ignore it rather than try to correct people. It's not like they're gonna listen, anyway."

"Do you want any help with those?" I offer, gesturing to the bags.

"I'll be okay, there's a car waiting for me around the corner. But thanks," Delilah smiles gratefully. "Hey, if you aren't doing anything, would you wanna swing by?"