𝘊𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 15

"And then he starts making jokes and stuff which just pisses me off even more. Can you believe the nerve this guy has!? God! I was so annoyed for the rest of the day, totally put a damper on my mood."

Miriam chuckles and sits down on the leather armchair she was previously inspecting, shifting around experimentally, trying to get a feel for it. For some reason she suddenly decided she wants to redo her living room and buy some new furniture. I chose to tag along because, first of all, I wanted to hang out with her and, second of all, I needed to rant to her about my encounter with Jungkook yesterday.

"Yeah, he tends to have that effect on people sometimes," she grins.

"What effect? The type that makes you wanna knee him in the balls, behead him and scream at him all simultaneously?" I scoff.

"Wow, didn't know you were that pressed about it..."

I take a deep breath in to calm myself before exhaling as much of the negativity building up inside of me as I can. "Sorry. I don't even know why I'm so worked up. Having someone psychoanalyze me is never something I enjoy but for some reason having him do it just really sets me off. He's just so cocky, thinking he knows me and everything about my life."

"I know you're not gonna wanna hear this but I actually have to--"

"Don't you dare," I interrupt lowly. "I can't handle your betrayal right now."

"I have to agree that you're a little clueless when it comes to stuff that happens outside of the world you know and grew up in," Miriam continues, smiling guiltily. I frown and raise an eyebrow at her expectantly. "I also agree that it isn't really your fault. And, more importantly, you're changing that. You're getting to know about the club and expanding your knowledge about their world. You're exposing yourself to the 'dark parts of the world'. So he's wrong about you not making an effort to learn. I'm sure you'll be pleased to hear that."

"Of course I am. I still don't understand why it's so bad I didn't know about all this stuff in the first place, though. Or why it's so bad that I actually had a good childhood and didn't grow up with parents who couldn't manage to support our family. It's not my decision whether I grow up 'privileged', as he put it, or in poverty," I roll my eyes.

"Kook just doesn't really like people of the higher class, thinks that they all have a superiority or god complex. He probably worries you do too and is trying to take you down a few pegs, take the first shots, get under your skin and rile you up, all of that, y'know?"

"Two can play that game," I grumble. "Let's see how he likes it when I get inside his head and start reading him like a book."

Miriam bursts out laughing and I stare down at her in confusion. "You're so cute."

"The fuck?"

"I hate to break it to you--" she gets up onto her feet and places her hands on her hips, "--but that's a failure waiting to happen. You're not gonna be able to pick him apart the way he's able to with other people."

"And why's that?" I demand, crossing my arms. "You don't have faith in me?"

"Frankly, no," she says bluntly. "He's highly skilled at hiding his true feelings and emotions when he wants to. Also doesn't let a lot of people in close enough to really get to know him. I think the only person who actually knows about his past and is able to see through the farce he puts on is Chim, possibly Yoongz and Jin, too. He's a very private and closed-off guy."

"Well I can at least try, right? And maybe I will succeed, find out he's got mommy issues or something, I don't know," I shrug.

"You do whatever you'd like, Nikki. Just let me know how everything works out, yeah?" Miriam pouts suddenly and looks around the store dejectedly. "I think we're gonna have to migrate to another place. Nothing here is calling to me."