𝘊𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 30

"...but I don't trust her, y'know? Tell me I'm not being paranoid. I just don't see why else she wouldn't have mentioned it. She always tells me when she's going out with her friends, but this guy is meant to be a secret?"

I grip the edge of the bar with my wrists facing the man and lean my weight forward, shrugging. "Yeah, I don't know. I'll admit it sounds a bit weird. Just...try not to act suspiciously nosey or anything. If the guy really is just a colleague, your behaviour will probably cause even more issues."

"Should I follow her one night? I don't wanna be sleeping next to a wife who's secretly riding another guy's cock."

I wince slightly at the man's bluntness. "Following is too stalker-ish. What if they notice you?"

"Well, what else am I supposed to do?" he scowls, voice gruff.

"How long have you two been married? If you don't mind me asking."

"Fourteen years."

"You trust her?"

"Usually," the man mutters with a humourless chuckle.

"So why not just take her word for it for now?" I suggest. "If she hasn't done anything else to make you question your relationship, maybe nothing is going on behind the scenes." I take the man's glass and fill it with more beer when he gestures for another drink. "Now, if you notice her changing things about her appearance? Then..."

"What's it means?" he demands, brows furrowed in confusion.

"Ah, well, I guess there are some women who tend to change themselves when they want to attract someone's attention. Maybe they'll style their hair a different way, do their makeup differently, use a new perfume, wear clothes they don't normally wear--that kind of stuff, y'know?"

"So if she does that, it means she's a cheating whore?"

How charming. "Uh, not necessarily. It could mean she's interested in the guy, but maybe she's not. The only way you'll ever really know is if you confront her."

"Or if I follow her when she goes on one of those dates."

"Which, again, is not a good idea," I stress.

"Gah, I wish this all didn't have to be so complicated," the man complains with a sigh, resting his face in his palm. "Thanks for your help, ginger." He perks up suddenly. "Hey! Are you single by any chance?"

I resist the urge to gag, swallowing my disgust and hoping the smile on my face doesn't look too much like a grimace. "No, I'm seeing someone."

"That's a shame. I was gonna offer to take you somewhere after you're done working, maybe show you my appreciation." There's a determined glint in his eyes, a lascivious grin stretching his bearded face. "Maybe you're interested anyway? One night won't hurt, eh?"

Before I can think of a response, a shrill whistle from the other side of the bar captures my attention. I quickly look over, worried that I had been neglecting a customer while chatting with this man. Instead, I find Jungkook staring at me, flashing me a peace sign with his tongue poking out of his mouth lazily.

"Sorry, I have to go check on him," I tell the man I had been attending to, giving him a forced, obligatory smile while gently patting the bar's surface before making my way over to Jungkook.

It's the perfect excuse to escape the conversation and part of me is grateful Jungkook is here and has such perfect timing. The other part is confused, curious to know why he's here.

"Hey, what're you doing here?" I ask the brunette once I'm in front of him.

"I'm here to pay my dues," he replies.