Chapter 22

You followed Thor as he stepped through the doors of Stark Tower, the other three Asgardians following behind you. After entering the building, you looked around. It was the third time in your life that you had entered the tower. Unfortunately, you never had the chance to tour the building in its former glory before the attack on New York. All you had seen was the bustling of construction workers as they continued repairing and rebuilding. Of course, the night of Stark's party, there was enough space cleaned up to host such an event, but it was apparent that construction and repairs resumed as soon as possible.

Among the construction workers and engineers milling about, there were also a number of security guards, agents, clad in black suits and earpieces. No doubt Tony had increased security after his encounter with Loki. You felt the eyes of the agents following you as you trailed behind Thor. One man locked eyes with you and spoke to someone on the other end of his earpiece. You felt the hairs on your arms stick up. You knew that you were in good hands with Thor and the other Asgardians, but the tension was getting to you.

===

In your apartment, Thor had said that they needed your help, which caught you off guard. You did not see any way that you could be useful to them. You weren't even useful enough to Loki, since you did not give him any information that he may have wanted to advance his plans. At least, that was what you thought. You didn't remember telling him anything significant about Tony Stark or the interview you had with him. There was not even an ounce of information from the interview that would be of any use to Loki. Stark was a busy but smart man, so there was no way that he would let any meaningful details slip during a little interview with an amateur journalist.

Initially, you had wanted to decline Thor's request for help because you didn't see any way that you could help. That feeling of uselessness coupled with the fact that you didn't want to think or have anything to do with Loki made you want to just disappear. Just hearing his name was enough to strike you with the sharp, painful reminder that you were just a tool to him. Something to help him achieve his malicious goals in the end. You felt stupid, foolish. You couldn't even look Thor in the eyes once he asked for your help. Despite all the pain Loki caused you, you decided to come up with a different excuse to refuse to help. You decided to tell Thor that you wouldn't be very helpful because you don't have any information on Loki's whereabouts.

"That doesn't matter," Thor had said. "You are far more valuable to us than you know, please."

Another excuse.

"But I... I have... work."

You wanted to smack yourself in the face as soon as those words left your mouth. Your job was nothing compared to the fate of the world -- not to mention, your boss would also probably understand if you took a few days off to save the lives of everyone on Earth. Thor knowingly shook his head. He must have known how pathetic that excuse sounded.

Thor had extended his hand to you, desperation in his eyes. Even though you wanted to turn away, you couldn't. You could see just how concerned he was, not just for you or the rest of the people on Earth. It was his brother. It was apparent that Thor wanted his brother back more than anything. Not just to stop him from destroying the Earth, but also to save him from what he has become. Thor's eyes appeared as though they were beginning to well with tears. Just how important could you possibly be to drive the God of Thunder to this fragile state? You feared that if you declined, he would simply crumble to the floor in front of you. Once you were able to tear your gaze from his eyes, you looked up at the other Asgardians who awaited your response. They too seemed desperate. Perhaps they did not know exactly how you could help them, but you must have been better than nothing. The only clue they had so far. You returned your attention to Thor who still held his hand in front of you. Once last glance in his eyes, then you slowly took his hand and nodded.