Chapter 9

You and Tom entered the restaurant; the cold New York air was quickly replaced with the warmth of the restaurant. You looked around.

It was a typical diner with booths and wooden tables. The rosy red curtains shaded your eyes from the sun and the smell of food filled your nose. There were a few customers sipping coffee and eating breakfast. An elderly man reading a newspaper paused to see you and Tom enter, but he soon returned to the paper.

After a moment, a waitress dressed in a short, black dress and porcelain apron approached you. She smiled softly, her pink lips barely touching her eyes. You smiled back.

"Hello, table for two?" the waitress inquired. Tom nodded.

"Yes, please," he replied. The waitress grinned as she turned around to take two menus from the front desk. After she grabbed one menu, the waitress reached for another. Her grip on the first loosened, allowing the menu to fall to the cream-colored tiled floor.

"Oops!" she blurted, making a show of bending over to pick it up. After retrieving the menus, the waitress turned back around, but her gaze was fixed on Tom. "I'm sorry. Right this way." You and Tom followed her through the restaurant while she made unnecessary and exaggerated hip movements. You looked slowly up at Tom, who was already looking at you. You both smiled at each other as you reached the booth. Tom squeezed your hand softly before letting it go so you could sit across from him.

The waitress placed your menu in front of you. She then deliberately handed the menu to Tom, staring at his ever-changing eyes. Her gaze never left Tom as she spoke.

"Here you are. My name is Bethany, and I will be serving you today," her stare at Tom intensified, "You can just call me Beth if you want. Would you like anything to drink?" You both ordered your drinks. Bethany smiled. "Alright, I'll be back in a few to take your order." She turned to walk away, but she turned her head slightly to catch another glimpse of Tom before leaving.

You and Tom both opened your menus and scanned the breakfast items. As you looked through your choices, you could tell Tom was stealing glances at you. Whenever you looked up to catch him, he quickly looked down at his menu again. You could have sworn you saw hints of red staining his cheeks. You smiled as you made your choice.

When you put your menu down, Tom did the same. He looked at you and smiled.

"What are you going to order?" Tom asked, his cheeks painted with red. You told him your food choice and he grinned. "Ehehe! I chose the same thing!"

============================

Loki stared into Y/N's eyes after his comment on her food choice. He had said that he wanted the same thing, but Loki only said that so Y/N could think they shared the same tastes. He continued to look at her, studying every detail in awe.

Never in all my years have I seen such beauty in a mortal, much less a Midgardian, Loki thought to himself.

They both sat there staring at each other. Loki could feel his heart beating quicker with every moment, yearning to reveal to Y/N what she was to him and what he hoped to be to her. But, he didn't dare in fear that she'd reject him.

Soon, Bethany came back with the drinks. She put Y/N's on the table, throwing the wrapped straw next to it. Bethany then put Loki's drink in front of him. She unwrapped a straw and put it in his drink. Loki nodded in thanks as she grinned. He noticed that her lips seemed to have more lipstick than before.

"Are you ready to order?" Bethany asked, licking her lips and staring at Loki.

"Erm, yes..." Loki said. They both ordered the food as Bethany wrote down their orders. As she finished, Bethany returned her gaze to Loki.

"Will that be all, hun?" she asked Loki. He nodded in response. Bethany nodded slowly and gave Loki a wink as she walked away. Loki immediately returned his attention to Y/N, who had just unwrapped her straw and put it in her drink. He smiled at her again.

"So... What have you been doing lately?" Loki asked Y/N as she finished taking a sip of her drink. She shrugged, putting the glass down.

"Nothing really," she answered. "I just slept, woke up, and...," Y/N made a face like she just remembered something important. Her eyebrows raised. "Did you hear the news this morning?" she asked. Loki shook his head slowly. He didn't hear of anything of importance earlier.

"No, I have not heard of anything. Why? What is it?" Loki asked her, playing with his thumbs on the table.

"I was watching the news this morning just after I woke up. There was a breaking news segment and... Tony Stark was on it," Y/N explained to him. Loki's heart began to race as he shifted nervously in his seat. He tried not to let his discomfort manifest in his sudden actions.

Brilliant, he thought, I'd better not reveal myself.

"Stark? What happened?" Loki asked as innocently as possible. Y/N looked him square in the eye.

"Do you know...? Well, of course you'd know. Everyone knows, but you remember Loki right?" she asked, seriousness taking over her usually happy attitude. Loki involuntarily shifted again, hoping that something would change the subject.

"Yes... Of course," Loki uttered, "What of his whereabouts? Did Stark answer to that?" Y/N nodded.

"Tony said that Loki visited him... and said that he was going to attempt to rule us again," she responded.