Chapter 11

You and Tom were walking down the street after your breakfast and Tom's sudden outburst.

After yelling at the flirtatious waitress, Tom seemed indescribably embarrassed and full of regret. But, you found no reason for him to feel that way. After all, he did put you on a pedestal by saying you were more than a god could ask for and that he would never leave your side. If anything, you found that very attractive, romantic, and gentleman-like. It made you blush afterwards.

Tom, however, had blushed out of embarrassment and he couldn't look you in the eyes. After leaving the restaurant, you told Tom that he was very brave and that you didn't know how special you were to him until his tirade. He was comforted by your assurance and offered you his hand.

The two of you continued to walk down the street, hand in hand, not really knowing where you'd go next.

You and Tom chatted about a variety of things; the both of you spoke of everything from favorite ice cream flavors to Shakespearian sonnets. Jokes were cracked and laughs followed.

In those moments, you wanted nothing else but to be with Tom forever. You never wanted to stop talking, to stop laughing, to stop holding his firm but gentle hand. On many occasions, both of you would fall silent and simply gaze into each other's eyes until a car honked or someone bumped their shoulder. It was like a dream, like a real-life fairytale.

The entire time, you felt butterflies fluttering about in your stomach in a frenzy. Sometimes, you would stumble over your words if you looked into Tom's eyes for too long. Everything about him was perfect, but his eyes were beyond that. There was something about them that drew you in deeper. They would flicker with the colors of nature. One moment, they'd be blue and in another, green. But, his eyes would usually be a beautiful mixture of the two. You admired the way the shades of blue and green blended together in such a way that it almost seemed like the colors flowed like water in his eyes. It was other-worldly.

If you were not marveling at the beauty of Tom's eyes, you were usually analyzing them - searching for his current emotions. Sometimes, he'd be embarrassed, scared, or happy... Shocked, confused; the list went on. But, there was one thing in his eyes that was there most of the time. It was the same thing you saw in Tom's eyes in the restaurant, the one you couldn't name; even at this point, you still couldn't put your finger on it. You hoped you would find out soon.

Eventually, you and Tom stumbled upon a park. A paved path curved around the large area of lush grass and trees. A few wooden benches lined the path and about seven people were jogging around. You and Tom agreed to walk around the park for awhile before heading somewhere else. The air was still cool even though it was already noon. A slight breeze blew on your face, causing your hair to softly flow behind you.

You continued to stroll down the path, talking, laughing, and falling silent.

Soon, Tom suggested sitting on one of the wooden benches to rest. You agreed and sat down next to each other. The bench was surrounded by a dozen of different flowers -- not placed in any particular pattern. The green grass was about three inches tall, so it tickled at your ankles as you sat. The bench also seemed to be in the center of a circle of trees. You looked at the way the branches twisted and sprouted green leaves. Despite the trees being thick with leaves and branches, you were still able to see past them.

Directly in front of you, there was an absence of one or two trees. Because of this, you were able to view Stark Tower without a problem. You admired how it seemed to loom over the rest of the city. It was a beacon of safety for the whole world. It gave everyone something to believe in when there was nothing else to put their faith in. The Avengers were the protectors; they had saved the world once, so they can do it again. You realized that when you were trapped in a bank during the attack from the Chitauri.

You had been running an errand; it was the same as any other day: Go to the bank, deposit or withdraw money, continue with the next errand. Just after you had finished your business with the teller, screams cut through the air. You quickly looked around for a reason for the panicked screams. Your eyes landed on an other-worldly creature. It was too hideous to process. You soon realized that there were many more in the bank. They carried weapons and circled the crowd of panicking citizens, including you. Everything was chaotic; children were crying and others were screaming. But, you didn't. In fact, you hadn't been able to do anything. You were too shocked to make a sound or react in any logical way. A look of shock was all you could manage at the time.

Then, you saw one of the ugly creatures pull out something. You automatically recognized it as a bomb or grenade, although it looked nothing like grenades on Earth. You were sure that you were going to die right then and there. All your plans for the future seemed to be taken away. You'd never have been able to travel the world, get a boyfriend, or start a family. If you died, all you would have accomplished would be successfully pulling off a Netflix binge that lasted a month.

As the alien-like creature reached to activate the grenade, it seemed like a countdown to your death. Its hand moved closer and closer to the grenade.

Five.

Four.

Three.

Two.

One.

But just before the creature could activate the grenade, there was a flash of red, white, and blue that clashed against it -- knocking the grenade away. After the figure finished their entrance and stood still, you recognized it as Captain America. He held his shield tightly and engaged in a fight with the creature that almost ended your life.

You remembered the events of that day as you sat on the bench with Tom, staring at Stark Tower. You remembered Captain America and how he had saved your life and the lives of all the other citizens in the bank. You'd give anything to be able to see him again and thank him.

Tom might not have been Captain America, but somehow, he seemed to be a very close second. Captain America might have saved your physical life, but Tom saved your emotional one. When you first saw Tom and spoke with him at the party, you were filled with emotions that you hadn't felt in a long time. Horrible people had taken a toll on you, and you almost lost all feeling. You were numb... Until you met Tom. Tom was everything that a human should be and then some. He wasn't a man desprate for a woman to have at night, nor a man who would easily walk away. Tom made you feel human again, and you knew that you'd never meet anyone else quite like him.

As you sat with him on the wooden bench, you continued to stare at the tower. After a while, you turned to glance at Tom, who was already staring at you for who knows how long. His eyes were filled to the brim with that inexplainable thing you saw in the restaurant and walking down the block. It seemed to be over flowing, uncontrollable.

"Y/N, I love you."