Chapter 19

As soon as you heard the door close, your legs gave out. They wobbled under the weight of everything that had happened and collapsed under the pressure. You lay there on your apartment floor, tears still streaming down your face. Your grip on the chair you were holding loosened and caused the chair to fall to the floor beside you. Your trembling back leaned against the wall, and you were grateful for its support.

A million thoughts raced through your mind, but -- at the same time -- you thought nothing at all. Your mind was a raging storm at sea but also an empty basin. The waters rolled and crashed as lightning struck, and there was no lighthouse to be found. However, your mind was also completely empty, surrendering to the influence of the world around you.

You sat there in the silence of your apartment, still not quite able to completely grasp the situation. A numbness flooded your body, allowing you to stop shaking. However, your breaths came out as soft, strained sobs. Tears were still welled in your eyes, blurring your vision. For some reason, after all of the emotions that had enveloped you while confronting him, you felt nothing. It was as if you were floating in midair far away from the Earth and away from him. You drowned in the silence and loneliness of the void you had involuntarily created. You felt yourself drifting further and further from the world you knew. Then, you felt a tug, drawing you slowly back into your apartment. It was soft and gentle at first, but then it violently yanked you in again.

You pounded your fist on the apartment floor as you let out a painful groan. It was somewhere between a helpless scream and furious groan. It had been rumbling inside of you and found its way into your fragile world, threatening to shatter it. But, it did not matter.

It has already been shattered.

The numbness left as quickly as it had come, letting the pain return more violently than before. You felt it in your chest and in your head. It shook your core and constricted your lungs. You could not think, not in any way that made sense. Thoughts scrambled around in your mind, trying to link themselves together in order to form a rational solution. But, you did not even understand the problem itself.

You had met a man at a party. He was the most courteous and polite gentleman you had met in a long time. The two of you had fun. You had spent time together and had gotten to know each other. He charmed you in ways you had never experienced before in New York or anywhere else. You had danced with him, walked with him, smiled with him, laughed with him, cried in front of him. You had sat together at a park. You kissed him.

You loved him.

Out of everything that had happened, that was the worst part. You loved him as much as anyone could love another person and then some. You gave him everything you had. You gave him your company and your mind. He took your heart, and you let him keep it because he was the only one you trusted with it. You believed he would protect it, guard it from the world. But, he was the one who held your heart in his own hands and crushed it. The whole time, you had been giving everything you had to a murderer, a monster. And you let it happen.

You rubbed your forehead with the palm of your hand in an effort to soothe the headache that had developed due to the onslaught of uncontrollable emotions. You let out another sob and covered your face with both of your hands, letting your tears soak them. You thought about what you should do then. You had just been in close contact with a monster that planned to take over the world not too long ago, and he most likely was planning the to do the same in that moment. You had to tell someone. You had to warn everyone that Loki was back, that he had returned to finish what he started. But, who could you tell?

The obvious answer that initially came to your mind was the police or some other authority. But, what would you say? What would you tell them?

Officers! Loki, the God of Mischief, who attempted to take over the Earth with an army of bloodthirsty aliens is here again! I met him at a party, and I fell in love with him. I fell in love with that monster, and now he is going to kill us all!