Chapter 15

Tom smiled at you, his mouth full of the dinner you just finished cooking. His eyes glowed as he chewed and swallowed your recipe, savoring every moment.

"This is amazing, Y/N," he declared after taking a sip of water. You smiled at that. Tom said that every time you cooked for him, whether it was breakfast, lunch, or dinner. However many times he said it, Tom still didn't feel that it was enough to express how good your cooking was; it was adorable.

You and Tom had been officially dating for two weeks, and you both loved every moment of it. It was true that it happened rather quickly. One moment, you were drinking fruit punch; the next, you were kissing someone who was little more than a stranger. But, even then he didn't seem like a stranger; everything was different with Tom. When the both of you first met, it was like you had known each other for years. After the initial shock of having such a good-looking gentleman request to dance with you, it was like Tom was an old friend. Had any other man approached you that night at Stark's party, you probably would have continued with your dull life, regretting attending that party and wishing you had gone anywhere alse that night. However, Tom changed everything.

He filled your black and white world with color again, like looking through glasses. It felt the same as being born again. The once bleak world was filled with a surge of energy, color, and - somehow - magic. The touch of Tom's hand warmed you and filled you to the brim with happiness - something you hadn't felt in years.

Tom continued eating his food as did you, occasionally sneaking glances at each other and giggling when you caught each other in the act. That was another trait of Tom's that never got old. His laugh, whether it was the softest chuckle to the most hysterical "Ehehehe", was nothing short of perfect. Whenever you heard the sound of his laughter, it was like the sun rising, warming the Earth and all of its inhabitants. It filled every crevice of your body with delight and nothing less. You couldn't help but grin and let out your own laugh as well.

You saw his eyes light up whenever you caught him staring at you between mouthfuls of his dinner. Blue and green, like the sky and grass. You indulged in his eyes, savoring every fleck of the sky and blade of grass that you could find in them. Studying, wondering what it would be like to jump in them and run free. Imagining what it would look and feel like: certainly better than the real world with all of its cruelties and injustices. Soon, you were lost again, unable to escape from Tom's eyes. Unable to look away, unable to tear yourself away from the beautiful, perfect world within. Then, as if lightning struck, you remembered.

You remembered that nothing is perfect. Nothing is flawless. Nothing is fair. Nothing is promised. Nothing lasts forever. You knew that perfection in unachievable, unreachable, unknowable. You knew that there is no tangible proof of perfection. You knew that everything is flawed, everything contains mistakes. Everything has at least one loose screw. You knew.

You blinked. You blinked out of the imaginary, perfect world within Tom because that was all it was: Imaginary. None of it was real; how could it be?

The blue skies and evergreen grasses disappeared. The sweet smell of freedom dissolved into the air. The warmth of the sun subsided. All you were left with was your apartment dining room. The creaky wooden table with your dinner returned. The cheap eating utensils returned to your hands, the fork still holding a chunk of food. Tom returned to his chair across from you with his dinner, his mouth half-full.

How could you forget?

How could I have forgotten this? This won't work... It will never work. What was I thinking? This... This... What did I think this was? This relationship. What is this? It is not perfect, not everlasting. Why? Why?