Chapter 17

Your terrified screaming filled the room. You could not help it. You were frightened, terror flooded your body, sending tremors through your veins. You heart was racing at the speed of light and your breath came in ragged, short bursts when you finally ran out of air to scream with. You couldn't stop yourself from making small, helpless squeaking noises everytime you inhaled.

You jumped up from the couch you and Tom fell asleep on and backed into the farthest corner of the room, still keeping the couch within view. You eyes never left the figure lying on the couch slightly confused and dazed by your screaming. You grabbed the nearest object which happened to be a wooden chair and held it in front of you, ready to strike. Your breathing did not improve at all; it was difficult to get enough breath in when your lungs felt like they were being crushed by your racing heart. Your eyes were wide in disbelief and your whole body was trembling in pure fear. You were sure that your legs would give out at any second. Everything felt like a horrible nightmare but you knew that none of it was a dream. You were awake, but you still could not believe what your eyes were telling you.

Sitting on that couch was not the man you fell asleep next to the night before. That man was not Tom.

However, the man sitting on the couch did look an awful lot like Tom. He had the same perfect nose, the same sculpted cheekbones, the same lean build, the same lips you had kissed so many times. He had the same eyes -- the same eyes that drew you into its deepest corners and engulfed you with its endless perfection. But, it was definitely not the Tom you knew.

Tom's stubble of a beard was gone, replaced with a clean-shaven, smooth texture. The color of his skin was not as vibrant as before, but that was probably due to the surprise he received from your screaming. His hair, however, was longer. It went down in messy, black locks to his shoulders. It was as dark as the feathers on a raven's back in contrast to Tom's lighter chestnut hair.

His clothes were what really caught your attention. You had never seen anything like it in person before. He was wearing an elaborate assembly of black leather, emerald cloth, and gold metal. It seemed as though it belonged in a much different time period. The closest thing you had seen to it was the clothing of the Avenger Thor, who you had seen occassionally on the television.

His clothes were what helped you immediately recognize him. He was all over the news not too long ago. He had murdered countless people. He had violently attempted to conquer the Earth and humanity. He brought even more hostile unearthly creatures from a portal in the sky. He was Loki, and he was a monster.

He was the reason why so many people lost their lives, leaving behind mourning family members and loved ones who would never forget that dreadful day. He was the one who summoned those blood-thirsty monstrosities to weaken and destroy humanity. He was the one.

The wooden chair was still trembling in your hands. Your grasp on it grew tighter and tighter, turning your knuckles white. You held the chair in hopes that such a cheap piece of wood could somehow stop the all-powerful god that was sitting on your couch.

After a moment, he held his hands up in front of his body in a defensive manner, his eyes pleading for an answer to all of the confusion. He looked as if he did not know what was happening. His eyes were reciprocating the fear that you radiated at that moment. You could hear his deep breaths, trying to understand the situation.

"Y/N?" he asked softly, "Wha-?"

"Stop!" you yelled at him, gripping the chair tighter and holding it out further to maintain your distance. He quickly sat straighter on the couch when you yelled, his hands still in front of him. You would have never raised your voice at Tom.

"Y/N-" he tried to say again, but you quickly silenced him.

"What are you doing in here! Get out!" your voice was shaky but firm. "I-I know who you are! I know what you are!"