Chapter 4

Toby had been gone for a few days. You expected him to be back in a few hours, but when you (very cautiously) opened the door to see a girl there, she explained what was going on.
"Count yourself lucky. I owe that freak a favour," The girl shoved a bag of food towards you, the clock in her eye ticking angrily, "i'm Clockwork. Ticci told me to take care of you until he's back."
"How long until he's back?" You asked.
"Five days. Anyway, I got better shit to do than babysit you. Bye." Clockwork turned and left, and you shut the door behind her.
"I won't be able to brush my teeth for five fucking days?! Who does this kid think I am, some low hygiene frat boy?!" you thought furiously as you locked the door, then crossed to your bed and opened the bag to see what he had sent. "okay, i forgive you." You thought happily. He had left you some store bought snacks like chips, soda and cookies.
After snacking a little bit, you investigated the other room to find that it was a bathroom. You happily began shedding your work uniform when you realised you didn't have anything to wash yourself with, and decided you were mad at Toby again. But eventually, on the fourth day, you slinked into the bathroom and took a water-only shower, desperate to smell at least a bit better. On the fifth day, you had began to adjust to the room better, and fell asleep without crying.
As the sky darkened on the fifth day, you were sat at your desk, patiently waiting for Toby, when the door handle shook. It happened regularly, and only gave you a tiny rush in knowing someone was trying to kill you now. But this time, they knocked. Confused, you stood up and headed to the door, and listened. Nothing. Confused, you stepped back and went to fish the key out of your pocket, when you felt a shock of doom. You learnt from your capture six days ago, and turned around. In horror, you came face to face with someone at your window. How did they get there? You didn't have a balcony or anything. But there they were. The first thing you noticed is how pale they were. They had a huge burn scar going from the side of their mouth, up to their eye and into their hair, almost looking like a smile. The damaged eye was completely white, and stared emptily at you. The person laughed maniacally at the fear on your face, and you recognised that their voice was male. Suddenly, they flinched and took out a small tube of... Eyedrops? They dropped some into their damaged eye, then looked at you again, their black hair spiking away from their head, falling into their face and down their shoulders. Then, they began shoving their fingers towards the bottom of the window. Realising what was going on, you snatched your key from your pocket and quickly unlocked the door, just as your window flew open. You took off running down the hallway, having no clue where you were going but just wanting to escape. You heard heavy footsteps behind you as you navigated blindly in the dim light of the mansion, terror eating away at your chest as blood pumped in your ears. Then, you suddenly dropped. Shit. You hadn't seen the staircase. You tumbled down the steps, the hard wood hitting bruises and forming new ones. A cry burst out from your lips as you hit the floor at the bottom.
"Wasn't that a bit of a fuckin tumble!" The man cackled, heading down the staircase towards you, "all to get away from me? I don't know whether to be offended or flattered! Ooh, are you Masky's new plaything? He was right, you are gorgeous! But not as pretty as me!" He grabbed your face and pulled you close, brandishing a knife. The cold, shiny blade pressed against your cheek, "don't worry, I'll do you a favour and make us match."
"Fuck off, Jeff." A hand suddenly shot out from behind you, grabbing Jeff by the hair and throwing him away. Jeff stumbled, then growled.
"The sook is back, then." Jeff grumbled, and you looked up to see Toby standing over you, his eyes glinting behind his goggles, "Whatever, she doesn't scream, anyway."
Toby picked you up and carried you up the stairs, past Jeff and back down the hallway you came. He was silent, but you could tell he was annoyed. Once you arrived in your room, he shut the door and locked it, then set you on your bed. You noticed a bag on his shoulder, which he also set down and took out a first aid kit.
"Why were you out of your room?" Toby snapped, moving up his goggles and glaring at you.
"M-my window... he came in through the window and chased me out," you explained, pointing to the window which was still wide open. Toby sighed, then got up and shut it, flicking a latch, "oh."
"I guess I should have told you to lock it. That's my fault," Toby said, then sat down in front of you and pulled down his mouthguard.
His face was pale, with a soft, symmetrical jawline and gentle lips. One side of his face had stitch scars, with burn marks long healed surrounding them. His hair was unevenly cut, creating unintentional layers of deep, brown hair that fell into his soft brown eyes. If you looked closely, you could almost see some faint freckles. Toby looked up from the first aid kit and met your (E/C) gaze, and you quickly looked away, feeling your face heat up. What the hell were you doing? Although he was the only thing keeping you safe around here, he was still a insane serial killer who assisted in your kidnapping and almost torture-murder. Looking back at Toby, you saw him smiling slightly, as if he found your reaction funny. Your face burned again as he began cleaning the cuts on your knees with a cotton ball and some disinfectant. The slight sting made you flinch, and he rolled his eyes.
"You've definitely felt worse than some disinfectant," Toby snapped, but it sounded slightly teasing.
"Yeah, thanks to you and your cronies," you replied sharply, and Toby looked at you, his dark eyebrows furrowing.
"They're not my cronies. I fucking hate their guts," Toby replied.
"Is that why you're helping me?"
"No," Toby replied, then seemed to listen closely, as if waiting for something. When he was satisfied, he started talking, "the reason is because I hate Slenderman more than I hate them both combined. He made me do things I would never, ever do. He took my life from me."
"...I'm sorry," you said after a pause, feeling sympathetic for him. Maybe he wasn't as psychotic as you thought he was, after all, it seemed like everything he did he didn't have a say in, "You deserved better than that."
"Didn't we all," he replied, then grinned as he continued, "but I still find my ways to spite him and his stupid fucking proxies. Masky is waiting for you to die, he doesn't actually want you to live. Slenderman as well. He wants to eat your soul. But I'm keeping you alive, so that's not gonna happen."
Toby bandaged up your knees, then took your hands to examine if they needed cleaning as well. When he was satisfied, he held onto one of your hands, and pressed your knuckles against his lips. You jumped, your stomach erupting in butterflies. His lips were cold and soft, and they made your face burn hotter than before. Toby smiled, moving his lips away from your hand.
"If I went further than just protecting you, wouldn't that just make Masky lose his shit? I'd love to see his fucking face," Toby sat up and lifted his mouthguard up, "I probably shouldn't. I tend to get just as bad as him when I find something I like."
You felt your spine shiver at these words, contrasting heavily with your body's reaction to his actions previously. Toby looked at you for a moment longer, then stood up and turned to the door. You followed, and he let himself out.
"I'll be back to see to you again soon. Don't. Leave. The room." Toby ordered, then pulled down his goggles and shut the door. You locked it, and you heard Toby give the door handle a jiggle to check, then he left.
You dashed to the bag he had left behind, and found your toothbrush, some toothpaste, facewash, your shower toiletries, a hairbrush, some changes of clothes and some of your books. You assumed that your bag had already been seized by the police when they realised you were gone and saw the state of the bathroom. As you took a shower, you realised that to everyone you cared about, you were missing. They didn't know that you weren't dead, and were (somewhat) okay. You thought of your mom as you washed your hair. She had always worried for you, and you thought of it as annoying. And now this had happened and she was probably blaming herself. You felt tears falling down your face, which you quickly brushed away. Weakness wasn't going to get you out of here.