Chapter 5

That night, you laid in bed, feeling fresher than you had ever since the day you'd been taken. But you still worried about your mother. What was the news even saying? With a sigh, you rolled onto your side and hugged your pillow, trying to fall asleep. But as you began falling into unconsciousness, you heard a tapping on your door. Confused, you sat up and rubbed your eyes, then swung your legs out of bed and approached your door.
"H-hello?" You said quietly, almost like you didn't want anyone to know you were even in the inside.
"Y/N, open up." The voice wasn't Toby's. Your heart dropped into your ass as you recognised it as Masky's. You snatched up your pocket knife from your desk and hid it in the elastic of your shorts, concealed by your shirt, "I just want to talk to you."
You screwed your eyes shut. It didn't feel like you had a choice. Taking the key from your desk, you unlocked the door and peered out. Masky immediately attempted to barge in, but you held the door firmly in place.
"I see," Masky said, staring down at you. He slowly bent down so your faces were at level, "let me the fuck in."
"I-if you only need to talk to me then you don't have to come in," you responded shakily, gripping the wood of the door tightly. Masky stared at you silently, then stood up straight.
"I'll let myself in then," he grabbed the side of the door and threw it open, sending you stumbling. You caught yourself on your desk as Masky walked inside and shut the door, "isn't that better? Now we have a bit of privacy."
"What do you want?" You asked quietly, not trying to provoke him. Your entire body vibrated in fear, your tongue drying out in your mouth as you looked at him.
"I'm surprised you've lasted this long. I heard about your run-in with Jeff. Don't worry, he hasn't lost interest. He'll find another way to get to you. Not that I'm going to help him, of course..." Masky trailed off, then slowly approached the bag beside your bed. He looked at it, then slowly turned to you, "who brought you this?"
Shit. You fucked up. If you told him, Toby would definitely get in a shit ton of trouble. But if you said it was you, he would definitely carry out that threat he made a few days prior.
"One of the creepypastas," you said. You assumed there were many, and there had to be at least one that wasn't completely out to kill you. Masky marched up to you, and you flinched instantly, but he paused right in front of you, his breathing heavy.
"Who?" Masky demanded. You shook your head, refusing to talk. You yelped as Masky slammed his hand against the wall beside your head, closing the space between the two of you, "Tell me who fucking gave you this or I'll let every fucking creepypasta in this mansion tear you limb from limb."
"S-stop..." you managed to say, getting a hard smack across the face in response.
"Tell me who!" He yelled at you, and you slithered down the wall, holding your face and whimpering like a hurt puppy. Masky paused, and you heard him pacing the room, cursing to himself, "get up. Get the fuck up!"
Masky grabbed your wrist and yanked you up, then grabbed the back of your neck and pressed his thumb into the side of your face. You could tell he was conflicted about something, like there was another person inside his head going against what he wanted to do. His grip began to tighten and hurt, and you flinched.
"You're fucking lucky. So goddamn lucky. I could kill you right fucking now, you know that? Your pretty face won't work on me forever. Count your fucking blessings and hope you don't get me mad again," Masky let you go, sending you back into the wall. He stared at you for a long moment. Then he reached out and tucked some of your hair behind your ear, and stroked your tear-stained cheek, wiping away some of the tears you didn't even know were falling, "i'll be watching you."
Masky then turned and opened the door, heading out and shutting it after him. Confused by what had just happened, and his sudden display of affection, you slowly walked to your desk and locked the door. With your cheek still stinging from his hit, you wandered over to your window and peered out. You hadn't actually looked out of here until now. The forest shook with the wind, and the moon shone gently on your face. It made you feel peaceful. You decided opening the window for a bit wouldn't hurt. Unlatching the window, you pushed it up and stuck your head out, immediately feeling the loud and intense breeze hit your face. It kissed the now red mark on your face, soothing the stinging heat, and blew the tears you had cried dry. It felt good. Refreshing. Looking towards the woods, you felt a pang of longing. If you weren't planning on escaping, surely going into the woods wouldn't be a violation? It was still technically part of the property.
"Hey," a voice caught you off guard, and you turned to see someone in the room next to you were also sticking their head out the window, "I saw you from my desk. And heard what happened. Are you alright?"
You blinked at the creepypasta. Were they... genuinely concerned for you? They had messy, black hair, and wore a blue jacket along with a mask with a big smiley mouth drawn on it.
"Oh-! Um, yes. I'm used to it. He's violent with me whenever he sees me... I'm Y/N." You introduced yourself, still suspicious of this mysterious man.
"That's Masky for you. I was scared he had killed you when I heard how quiet it got. Normally I can hear you moving around... but then I saw you," he paused, then his mask moved. He seemed to be smiling, "you're very pretty. I'm The Bloody Painter, but you can call me Helen if you like."
"Oh-! Thank you. Yeah, I um, I'm surprised I'm not dead yet if I'm honest. He scared the shit out of me. And that's a nice name, it suits you." You responded, smiling. Your heart sang when you realised that Helen seemed genuine, and that you finally had a proper friend who wasn't sarcastic 24/7 like Toby.
"Thanks! Well, I should probably get back to my painting. Plus, you don't want anyone seeing you with your window open. Around here they take that as an invitation to come in. Stay safe, Y/N." Helen stepped out from the window and closed it, and you could see him return to his desk.
You slinked back inside and closed your window, making sure to latch it. Taking another look outside before retreating to your bed, you saw a figure in the treeline. You recognised the blue mask from that time Toby came to your room and you saw the figure behind his shoulder. Unsure if they could see you, but knowing they had seen you, you kept your eye on them. Then, suddenly, they lifted their arm and waved at you. A slow, almost teasing wave. Blinking at them, you decided you probably shouldn't wave back. After a moment, they dropped their arm, then turned and walked back into the woods. Your desire to go into the woods from earlier was now squashed. It seemed like the creepypastas enjoyed going in there as well. You turned off your lamp then crawled into bed, pulling the covers up to your shoulders and falling into a slumber.