Chapter 21

A week had passed since your mildly traumatising experience with Masky and Jeff, all which you either spent sleeping, drawing, or pretending you couldn't hear the rattling of your doorknob and window at night. You had grown used to this life; forever looking over your shoulder and locking your door. Most days you were too occupied with your own fear that you barely thought about getting out of this place. If you ever would. You had began etching days into the wall so you could keep track, and you calculated that you had been kidnapped around five months ago.
You wondered if your mother was still looking for you, if she ever had. You wondered if your case had exploded and thousands of people were looking for you, or if it hadn't even reached the news channel. It didn't matter. Somehow, you knew nobody would find you here. But you wondered if you could escape.

You thought of this as you sorted out your (H/T) hair, barely focusing on what you were doing. You decided today you'd risk it and head to see what BEN found on that USB stick; if he had even looked at it. Shrugging on your jacket, you patted your pockets to make sure you had everything. Your key, the directions E.J gave you and your pocketknife. You headed out of your bathroom towards the door of your room. Pressing your ear against it, you listened intently.

...

All you heard was the distant noises of the house, and it's beams creaking. All clear. Taking out your key, you quietly unlocked your door and slipped out, closing it behind you and heading down the hall quietly. Taking out the note, you followed the directions again as swiftly as you could, occasionally having to take a chance and duck inside a room to hide from sight. Luckily, most of the rooms you ducked into were empty, the ones that weren't, whoever owned them were out or asleep.
You continued edging down the hall until you came to the correct door. You paused, contemplating knocking. But you decided it wasn't necessary, and let yourself in.

You made sure not to almost slip and fall this time. Even though you expected it, you still scrunched your nose in discomfort as the water licked at your shoes. Closing the door behind you, the ominous green glow caught your attention immediately. This time, BEN swivelled in his chair, his red irises flicking across the darkness curiously. Entering the light, his expression shifted.

"Oh." He said bluntly, then turned back to his large desk. Oh?? What did he mean, "oh"? You took a few steps forward, before he swivelled to you again, his legs folded upon the chair, "You finally showed then. I thought Jeff scared you into solitude."

"He didn't!" You automatically insisted, then you cleared your throat and held your hands behind your back, "I mean, I guess he did. Can you blame me?"

BEN looked at you quizzically, then shrugged in a "fair enough" type gesture. Approaching him, you peered at his main computer screen, trying to avoid the messy wires underfoot.

So, the USB? What did you find?" You asked, slightly eagerly. BEN paused, and you flickered your gaze to him. His throat bobbed, indicating he was forcing a swallow, "BEN?"

"Oh, uh... i didn't find anything interesting. Someone was just trying to troll you." BEN replied, but his eyes remained fixed on the computer screen, even though his hands were in his lap. You narrowed your eyes suspiciously, and he shot you a quick glance.

"Are you sure? There were a lot of files... I don't think anyone would go to that much effort just to troll me," you replied, insisting on the matter. BEN wiped his hands on his pants, and you noticed the faint sweat it left. He was nervous.

"I already told you, it was just random shit. That's all. Now if you excuse me, I'm a bit busy at the moment," BEN cleared his throat and lifted his hands to the computer, then hesitated when you didn't budge, "I said-"

"I heard you," you replied calmly, but you felt frustration bubbling in your stomach. You attempted to remain calm. After all, BEN was living in this mansion for a reason. You didn't want to aggravate him. At least not yet, "I'll go."