Chapter 8

As bad as it sounded, you didn't completely mind your new room now. You had begun to adjust to it, and it felt like a safe haven. Except the brief moments when the door was unlocked, or your window, where your heart hammered in your throat to the point where you shook.
Sat at your desk, you were sketching some basic poses, trying to figure out a certain movement of your model's hand. Rudely, you were interrupted by a tapping on your window. You set down your sketchbook and swivelled your chair to look. To your horror, you saw the blue masked man, Eyeless Jack, staring at you calmly. He waved comically, and you simply stared back at him. Slowly, you got up and approached your window, standing a step away, and looked at Eyeless Jack sideways. He paused, then lifted his mask slightly so you could see his chin. Then he spoke.
"Y/N, is it? Come on, I won't bite... if you're good," E.J laughed, and you felt a chill go up your spine. He must have noticed, because he groaned, "I'm kidding! Not really, but you know what I mean. Come onnn, I only want to check you out. I promise I won't attack you."
Did he think you were fucking stupid?
"Just because Toby isn't here doesn't mean I immediately turn braindead. Fuck off." You snapped, and E.J looked at you for a long moment.
"That's a shame. Well, when you get over that twitchy freak, let me know. I'll show you a good time before I kill you, special offer just for you, princess." E.J moved his mask back into place, then disappeared.
You stood confused for a moment, then face-palmed. Did he seriously just openly say he was going to eat you? He really didn't know how humans worked. Turning back to your desk, you retreated and began drawing again. About an hour passed, when you heard a scratching at your window. You ignored it, assuming it was just E.J trying to catch your attention again. Then you heard wood against wood, and your blood ran cold. Leaping up, you saw E.J had managed to get the window open, a lockpick in hand. He leapt through, then held his arms out as if presenting himself.
"Now that's a cool trick, isn't it? So, you over him yet?" E.J asked, and suddenly a sickenly thick feeling filled the room, choking you and making your hair stand on end. You were in danger, "no matter. I'll just kill you without the offer. What a shame."
E.J rushed at you, grabbing you by the wrists and slamming you into the wall. He reeked of an unfamiliar, metallic smell and cologne. With his spare hand, he moved his mask up. His skin was grey, his teeth sharp, and had heavy dark circles. Surprisingly, he had eyes, which were a dusty blue, but the whites of his eyes were black. Black tears ran down his face, which looked more like thin sludge.
"Like what you see? I'll give you a chance to change your mind. It'd be a waste to lose someone looking like you. The pretty ones always taste amazing, too," E.J bent his head into your neck, breathing in deeply, and released the breath with a groan of pleasure, "you even smell delicious."
"G-Get OFF!" You shot your arms forward, sending him backwards, then kicked him in the stomach, sending him to the floor.
Grabbing your pocket knife from your desk, you flicked it open and pointed the blade at him, anger flaring in your eyes. The anger and frustration of constantly worrying for your life drowned out your fear. E.J looked up at you, a mix of emotions crossing his face that all appeared as surprise. Then he smirked, and got up, just for you to lurch at him and kick him in the nuts, sending him to the floor again.
"Did I say you could get up? Give me your weapons," you glared at him, and he stared up at you, "i know you have some, I doubt you'd kill me with your bare hands you fucking pussy. Give me your shit!"
E.J quickly emptied his pockets, revealing a scalpel, dagger, his lock-pick set and a syringe holding a mysterious drug. He then backed against the wall as you rushed at him, then clambered up and out of the window. Quickly, you slammed shut the window and locked it, then flicked your pocket knife back in and stared E.J down. However, he seemed to have an immediate change of attitude. He approached the window, pressing his hand against the glass, a huge grin on his face.
"You're amazing." He said, his eyes set on you with sudden deep obsession and admiration.
"What. The fuck." You thought, staring at him with confusion and annoyance.
"I just robbed you?" Was all you could say, and he laughed.
"You really had me scared of you for a minute there. And to think I expected you to be easy! No wonder Masky likes you. What a gem!" E.J continued on, still with a huge smile on his face, "I'll be back, Y/N. Keep my things. You deserve them."
E.J leapt down from the ledge that jutted out beneath your window, onto a balcony below. So that's how they got up here. With a groan, your privacy and protection yet again violated, you picked up his things, careful not to prick yourself on the syringe, and put them on your desk. You flopped down on your chair, then the realisation began to set in. Your heart hammered in your chest, and the fear rushed back. You could've fucking died. That could've been the brutal end of you, but something inside of you exploded. Then, with a smile, you realised something. You had been scared to die. You hadn't accepted your fate this entire time. You fought back, you found protection. Finally, life didn't seem empty and meaningless. Before you had never tried avoiding death, but now you fought against it. Who thought the most traumatic events could bring you back from the dark? Even when you had only your mother to fight for. But that seemed like enough to fight for.