Chapter 24

Masky had been gone longer than you anticipated.
It had been two weeks, to be exact.

It felt strange to be worried. You weren't at first, you were thrilled to be honest, until the food in the fridge began running out.
Knowing you weren't allowed to be out, you rationed out the food instead. You had half a microwavable meal a day, which made you feel sick most of the time, but there wasn't much you could do.

Currently, it was raining. Heavily. So heavily you could barely hear any of the regular noises you had learnt to drown out, such as screaming, arguing, banging etc. But you weren't complaining. The TV had subtitles anyway.

You wish it hadn't been raining.

As you stared at the TV, in a childlike trance, the door suddenly flung open, and you leapt out of your skin. Masky stepped inside, nearly soaking wet, and slammed the door shut. He chucked the keys on the side, next to the TV, and immediately turned his attention to you.
The rain had drowned out the sound of his footsteps and the door unlocking.
Your heart hammered inside your chest as you hurriedly turned off the TV and scrambled to your feet.

"You're back," you managed to choke out, your throat already squeezing shut.

"Don't sound so fucking excited," he grumbled, looking around the room, "this place is a fucking mess. Did you even fucking do anything while I was gone?"

You fidgeted. He was in a bad mood. You would have to tiptoe around this one.

"I normally clean before bed... s-sorry." You stuttered. Fuck.

"Clearly fucking not. Jesus christ, you're useless. Put yourself to use and heat something up, will you?" He barged past you towards the bathroom, unzipping his jacket as he did so.

Biting your lip, you hurried towards the kitchen and opened the fridge. Luckily there was one unopened meal left. Taking it out, you chucked it in the microwave and put in the correct time.
Watching the meal turn, you racked your brain on how this night would go.
You weren't prepared for him to come back, when you should have been.

The microwave beeped loudly, and you jumped and quickly took it out, peeling back the plastic sheet. Grabbing some utensils out of the drawer, you placed them down on the table and hovered in the corner as you waited for Masky to emerge.

He did five minutes later, his hair wet from the shower. Looking at the table, his gaze snapped up to you with an irritated cloud to them.

"I'm not eating at the table, how old do you think I am?" He snapped, and headed towards the bed.

You nibbled your lip, opening the fridge and taking out a beer. You didn't dare drinking any, you knew he would notice. Picking up the meal with your free hand, you headed over to where he was now sat, watching the TV.
You hesitantly held out the meal and beer to him, which he took without looking at you. Unsure of what to do, you went and sat at the table, staring at your lap.

"It's fucking cold! Did you even heat this up? Are you trying to fucking poison me?" Masky's booming voice scared you onto your feet, and you rushed towards him, "heat it up, properly!"

He shoved the meal towards you. You weren't ready. The tray fell with a loud clatter, spilling food all over the floorboards and your feet. It was warm.

"Are you fucking stupid?!" Masky shouted, his voice so loud it made your ears ring.

"I-I'll clean it, I'm sorry," you said quickly, barely being able to get the words out properly as you rushed towards the sink cabinet, mostly to get away from him before he was able to hit you.