Chapter 16

Ever since that day when you quite literally came inches away from death, you hadn't seen anyone except your reflection. You didn't even know if you wanted company. 

Looking in the mirror of your bathroom, you rubbed the bruises on your arms caused by Masky, skin wet from your shower. Pulling your eyes away, you headed back out into your room and changed into (O/O/C), then settled at your desk and began randomly scribbling, wanting to distract yourself. But it didn't work. Angrily slamming your sketchbook on your desk once more, you clutched the sides of your head and groaned angrily. Nothing could distract you anymore. You kept repeating all the worst moments in your mind. Getting captured, being chased countless times, being tortured, and Toby switching up. Staring at the wall, you felt a pang of sadness. You had truly trusted him, but you were stupid to. He was a Creepypasta after all. But he felt so human at times, and then he would turn around and become your worst nightmare, only to switch up again and comfort his way back to you. You hadn't even been able to sleep, nightmares constantly waking you up, sometimes two in one night. You got so fed up you slammed your head against the wall in an effort to knock yourself out and ended up in Dr. Smiley's office for a mild concussion. 

Just as you remembered that, you perked up. He could possibly prescribe you sleep medication. That would work, right? Getting up, you grabbed your switchblade and unlocked your door, then peered around the hallway. Empty. You slowly slinked out, careful not to make a floorboard creak, then quickly set at locking your door.

"Where you goin?" You didn't hesitate to swirl around and slash your switchblade at whoever spoke. The person instantly stepped back, barely dodging your blade, and held their hands up with a grin when you pointed it inches from their throat, "Woah, woah! Don't worry, I'm not stupid enough to try and fight you. At least not when you're armed."

You glared at them stubbornly, then pulled your switchblade away but kept it open. Their eyes caught this, and they smiled a little more. 

"Who are you? I don't recognise you." You demanded. You were well aware of your enemies and somewhat allies by now, so seeing a creepypasta that didn't ring a bell unnerved you.

"I sure recognise you. Not your face, but humans who have their own room are rare around here. By rare I mean you're the first in a long, long time," His voice was masculine, "That one didn't last as long as you. She was kinda annoying."

"You didn't answer my question." You replied, but was intrigued. There were others before you who were in the same situation? He grinned, his mouth glowing like he had a light on his tongue. In fact, his eyes glowed yellow as well. He took your hand and kissed the back of your palm.

"I'm The Puppeteer, and you're Y/N. Masky's favourite, right?" You stared at him, unsure if he knew what had happened that day or not. Had he heard him and Toby? "Don't worry, I won't tell anyone. I'm good friends with one of your neighbours, they told me what happened."

"Fucking Helen," You cursed under your breath, and he raised an eyebrow, "Did he tell anyone else? Masky will have my fucking neck if he did." 

"Can't answer that, sweetheart. Why don't you ask him yourself, he misses you," The Puppeteer watched your face closely, and then grinned in a way that made you uneasy, "Ah, you don't see him the same? Who is it then?"

"Who's what?" 

"Every human that ends up here like you always ends up falling for one of us. This is a hotspot for Stockholm Syndrome. Unless you've already experienced it?" The Puppeteer narrowed his eyes at you. What was he trying to do? You were a bit slow sometimes but you weren't completely blind. He was trying to manipulate you, but you didn't know how. He then sighed, "Oh, you're no fun. If I can't tug the strings of your mind, then I can try and tug the ones of your body."

Confusion quickly turned to terror as golden strings suddenly shot out of his fingers, heading straight for you. So much for not picking a fight. Luckily, your previous times being chased had increased your speed and stamina quite a bit. You instantly took off running, having absolutely no idea as to where. But you knew you didn't want to stick around to see what he meant by tugging the strings. Shooting past doors and skidding around corners, you heard him following, but barely running. Even in pursuit he was taunting you.

"No need for me to rush," He hummed, "I'll catch you in the end." He was taunting you. You felt a bubble of frustration, but pushed it down. You knew he was only saying that to make you angry and throw you off concentration. "You're a lot smarter than I thought. I underestimated you," his voice turned dark, "You want to play, sweetheart? Let's play."

You turned and saw he had stopped. He held his hands out, and golden strings shot out of his fingertips, even faster than before. With a yelp, you sped up, cursing in your head. You felt your stomach drop as a string caught your ankle and tripped you. You grabbed your switchblade and cut it, causing The Puppeteer to let out a growl of frustration.

"Fragile ego, Puppeteer? No need to get upset, you underestimated me, remember?" You taunted, grinning at his expression. That slither of joy was short lived as the strings turned a furious orange, and shot towards you again, "Oh, shit-" 

You heard a sharp whistle, and turned to see the door beside you had opened. Possible murderer, or brutal torture by string man? Definitely possible murderer. You leapt into the room and slammed the door. The door was plunged into darkness, but you heard someone lock it as The Puppeteer began cursing. 

The silence that followed made you grip your switchblade tighter. You heard fumbling, then felt a bit of relief as whoever it was lit a candle and held it up between the two of you. Then leapt back into the wall as you were met with a familiar blue mask.

"Y/N! Finally! We meet again!" Eyeless Jack tore off his mask and looked at you with crazed eyes, "How I've been longing to encounter you again. Let me check your ankle." 

He scrambled to his knees and grabbed your foot before you could protest, examining the ankle The Puppeteer managed to catch, brushing his fingertips gently over the red marks that were already bruising. Confused and slightly scared, you clutched your switchblade, hoping he wasn't going to try and bite off your foot. He let go of your foot then stood up, not bothering to back up and give you personal space.

"It's a friction burn, and the string was tight so... just a bit of bruising, you'll be okay," Eyeless Jack smiled down at you, but his expression was a lot less murderous from when you last saw him, "I've missed you. You got me so excited that day then I never got to see you again! Toby chased me off every time I tried t- Oh, sorry," He covered his mouth, "Sensitive topic."

"How do y- How do you know about that?!" You demanded, feeling a sudden crashing feeling. Masky was going to fucking kill you. Eyeless Jack looked surprised and slightly flustered.

"Everyone knows... I was told by Jeff. Why?" 

"I-" You were cut off when you suddenly heard and felt the badly built house rumble from the furious yell of your name. Masky. You instantly shrank into yourself as thunderous footsteps made the floors groan as he searched for you, shouting out your name. He sounded like a bull on a rampage.

"Don't worry, I'll keep you safe, Y/N. I promise," Eyeless Jack ruffled your hair, and you flinched from his touch.

"How do I know you're not just trying to trick me?" You responded, your knuckles going white at this point from how hard you were gripping the switchblade. He tilted his head, his brown hair flopping in his face.

"You're the only person who has ever made me scared. If I tried to kill you, I'd be the one who would end up dead in the end," Eyeless Jack responded, "I dunno, I just think you're cool. I don't want you to die. Is that weird?"

"Where I'm from that's not weird. I guess it is here though. Not saying you should kill me though." You responded, managing to ease up a little bit. Eyeless Jack smiled at you. You managed to smile back slightly, and his eyes widened.

"You just smiled! You never smile," He laughed, and you felt your face burn, "I made Y/N smile! I can't wait to flex that." 

You didn't even notice you didn't feel as scared until the door slamming open threw you back into survival mode. Eyeless Jack grabbed you and put you behind him instantly, bringing out something sharp from his pocket. He had that the whole time?

"I heard you say Y/N," Masky said, panting from all his searching, "Move."