chapter eleven

august ninth

   caï and i walk into school and part ways after contemplating if we should ditch or not.

   "to ditch or not to ditch..." i say.

   "i say we ditch," he suggests.

   "did i overhear something about ditching?" an older man, says walking over to us with an irritated look on his face.

   "um, no sir, we were just saying how ridiculous it would be to ditch, haha! right caï?" i reply nervously while elbowing my brother.

   he looks at me and scoffs, "i guess we can't ditch now."

   "i haven't seen you two around, better start getting to class. you don't want to be late on the first day," he speaks waddling away.

after that confrontation caï and i checked our schedules to see where our classes were and they're on opposite sides of the school. i begin walking away when a lanky figure bumps into me. i look up to meet the persons eyes, ready to confront them for not looking where they're going. "watch where you're- oh hey rodrick."

"hi piper. where are you going?" the messy haired boy asks me.

"class," i reply walking to find my class as he follows beside me.

"well which one count obvious," he responds rolling his eyes.

"chemistry with ms. clark."

"are you serious?" he asks, stopping in his tracks.

i look to him confused, "yes?"

"i have that class too," he says walking, meeting up to where i'm at. he's so dramatic.

"that's cool," i smile to him. "i won't be the lonely new kid now."

"yeah, oh hey, about earlier," he starts.

i begin laughing as i remember what i saw going on in his car earlier. "what about it?"

"she told me to tell you guys not to tell anyone about you seeing her and i. she says she 'can't be seen with me,'" he explains using air quotes.

"ok?" i say questioningly. "is she your secret girlfriend?" i hope she isn't cause i know for a fact he's talking to other girls. plus, him and i almost kissed. did we almost kiss? maybe he was just going to take lint off of my shoulder, right?

"no, oh how i wish she was," says rodrick as he begins to day dream.

i stop infront of our class room and see a line of students waiting to get in. they all look not so intimidating, but they still scare me a little. i decide i should interrogate rodrick some more on this girl he likes so i can distract myself from my nerves. "what's her name?"

rodrick and i walk to the back of the line and he replies. "it's heather. heather hills. but you really can't tell anyone. she'd flip," he whispers, scared of her wrath.

"if she doesn't want to be associated with you the why'd she fuck you?" i ask.

"i was pretty insistent to say the least," he responds messing with his hair.

   "how so?"

   "well where do we begin? when i first moved here i saw her and began hitting on her. then i kept dm'ing her on instagram until she finally responded. we started messing around during the summer time and have been till this day."

   "do you guys do anything other than have sex?" i ask.

   he hesitates to respond, "uh, no. but it's whatever cause i know she likes me."