27

"How are you?" her fragile voice is sincere and she seems genuinely concerned for my well being

"How are you?" her fragile voice is sincere and she seems genuinely concerned for my well being. Her voice is different, more raspy and I figure it was her new habit of smoking or maybe it isn't new after all.

"I'm okay" I pause "you know working" I emphasize my last word knowing what she thinks of me being spoilt and lazy.

"That's good, so what are you going to do when you get off the ship you're not planning to be on a ship forever are you?" her tone is stern and I'm already getting bored of hearing her voice saying the same things over and over.

"Lilia please" I sigh already angry at myself for making the call. " When I get off the ship I'm staying with- well I don't know but I'm probably going back to school okay. I just needed a break from everything" I almost forget that when I leave, Parker and I will be broken up because I do intend to tell him before my time here is up which it almost is.

"Why not with Parker or me? Wait have you two broken up?" she gasps and I roll my eyes ready to tell her no because if I let myself say anything negative pertaining to Parker and I she'll be knocking at Parker's door in the morning blabbering her mouth.

"No I just don't want to live there with his mom and all" I lie and I hear her sigh loudly in relief.

"Well Noelle misses you a lot" I laugh at her statement. Noelle is my older sister who got married at my age and has the perfect life. Her husband is a successful realtor and let's just say it's gotten to her head. She constantly tells me how I should live my life and scolds me for my decisions because they are poor just like my future. I can't stand the bitch even with a walker made of extra strong metal which makes no sense but just let me be great because clearly my family won't.

"I doubt. Isn't she pregnant by now she shouldn't be missing me at all" the words spill out of my mouth before I can stop them.

"Actually she is. With twin girls I'm so proud of my baby and you of course but Noelle has done me well and you are not right now"

"Glad I'm your disappointment it balances out the equation right? One great and awesome daughter who got married young and bagged a bright future and the other one spiraling out of control and ruining her future" she goes silent on the other end confirming that my words are true." Good bye Lilia" I hang up the phone feeling my eyes water and my lip starts to quiver.

I think back to the phone call with my mother yesterday drying my hair and momentarily patting beneath my eyes to ensure I'm not crying.

Noelle is pregnant...wow.

Even though I try to ignore my mother's words I must agree that sometimes they're true. Maybe I'm a real disappointment. I decided to drop out of college when I was nineteen just because it was getting difficult. Obviously I had to go back because Lilia won't stop scolding me for weeks. I finished college and started an internship at a fashion company as a fashion illustrator. Lilia nor Noelle was happy about that for no particular reason but started to make my life hell because they simply wanted me to further my education. I got tired of what was happening so I decided to apply to a cruise line to 'get away' since I couldn't afford a real one anyway.