31

"This is nice" I say this as I adjust myself in the moneyed velvet seat next to Jax

"This is nice" I say this as I adjust myself in the moneyed velvet seat next to Jax. He nods his head in agreement, then turns his gaze out the window, back to the blue canvas. The plane arrived about an hour ago, and everything has gone swimmingly so far. Jax promised to carry me straight to Arizona-but not all the way home; I insisted on taking a cab to Parker's house from the airport, surprising him. He's been begging me to come home for a long time, and he'll be so overjoyed he won't know what hit him. I'm not sure how I'm going to deal with what I've done to him, but I'll figure it out.

"Wine ma'am?" a lean woman coated in a navy skirt and white blouse asks while holding a bottle of wine and two glasses.

"Um Noah is fine and no please" I react hesitantly, unsure of how to act on a private plane. I cast a quick peek at Jax, but turn away quickly since he is staring at me. I smile a little when I feel the vibrations of his laughter. The lady then inquires about the wine, which Jax declines and dismisses her.

"Give me your phone" Jax commands from beside me and I hesitantly reach into my bag to collect my phone. My eyes are glued to every move he makes as he pulls it from my grip.

"What are you doing?" I ask, trying to get a glimpse of what he's doing. I know I should have a passcode but I don't so save your breath. He taps a few times on the phone then passes it back to me. His name lights up the screen and his number stands below. "You sure you didn't prefer pig?" I tease and he rolls his eyes.

"You can call me anytime." I fight back a blush as his warm palm settles on my thigh. He places his phone in my hands, and I enter my phone number into his. "Are you going to break up with him?"

The question startles me. Why would he ask me that?

"I don't know and I would prefer not to talk about it."

"So you're just going to pretend like you didn't fall in love with someone else?" His intonation is sour, and his eyes dart me with ferocity.

"Maybe I will, Jax and I didn't fall in love with you." I return the sourness and remain stoic so that my mind doesn't assault me with remorse and tell me how horrible I am.

Who am I?

I have deviated all the morals and values I instilled in myself. Who would've thought that I would be the one cheating?

"Well that makes one of us" , his speech spits ice at me, leaving wet trails on my cheeks. I watch as his face reverts to the rock composition that I first saw when I met him. His once-alive eyes are now easily missed, and he is back to staring at the sky indefinitely.

"Jax" I whisper "You're not in love with me" I say this more to persuade myself than anyone else.

The air is tight the rest of the way, holding me in a painful choke hold.

"The jet is about to land sweetheart, pull your seatbelt on" the lady reappears again, to inform me about our landing. My body slouches in relief as I exhale and I check the time on my phone.

9:01pm

I can't wait to give Parker a big hug. Even though I've cheated on him, that doesn't mean I don't care; I do. As horrible as it sounds, I'm not sure I'll tell him about Jax and I. My guilt will be my punishment, but I won't be able to watch Parker in pain.

I get the signal to exit the plane and grab my luggage, casting a glance at Jax. He is aware that I am staring at him, but he refuses to look me in the eyes. The realization that I've ruined myself and my relationships with both Parker and Jax sinks into my skin, sending goosebumps up and down my spine. The desire to hold back a sob fades, and tears sloppily paint my face. With a twinge in his eyes, he turns to me, leaves his seat, and wraps his body around mine. I sink into his sanctum as the familiar smell that I've grown to love blesses me. The touch of his lips on my head brings more tears to my eyes, because I've led Jax on in the moment only to return to my boyfriend and act as if nothing has happened.

"I'm so sorry Jax"I sob uncontrollably, exhausted by sorrow and guilt, as he patiently shushes me. I yank myself from his grasp. "If I need you I'll call but you don't deserve someone like me" I grab my belongings and stagger from the plane. I turn around to look for him again, and yet he 's still standing there, staring at me with that stupid ache in his eyes. He should be relieved that I'm leaving because if I end up with him, I'll presumably do just what I did to Parker.

I exit the airport and wait for a cab to Parker's house at the bus stop. Before a cab stops in front of me, I rub the tears away with the back of my hand. I slip in and announce my destination. I quickly gather myself, getting ready to see Parker. I really hope his mom has a shift tonight, I don't want her hating ass seeing me.

We pull over at the familiar brick home that I've partially lived. I hand the driver his pay and a five-dollar tip before stepping out into the cold breeze.

I take a deep breath and exhale slowly. Instead of knocking, I walk up to the porch and lift the grey flower pot to get the spare key. When my eyes come into contact with the plain wall, I quickly set the pot down, stunned. Parker must've moved the spare key.

I take my time looking around the porch before putting my hand under the rug in front of the door. Cold metal brushes against my fingertips, and I triumphantly grasp the key and pull it out.

I quietly unlock and close the door so Parker isn't startled. I tiptoe up the stairs to his room, excited and nervous all at once. When I get to the top, I notice his door is open and he's talking softly. As I get closer to his door, the words that come out of his mouth make me smile.

"I can't wait to see my sweet baby" he sings to himself, which makes me want to see him even more, so I dash from behind the door into his doorway, where almost nothing prepares me for the sight of him cradling Marila's projected belly.