seventeen

SEOJUN

Have you ever died?

Of course you haven't, I'm joking...

But on the small chance that someone actually has, I'd be interested which afterlife gives you access to Wattpad... The good, or the bad place?

Let me ask a more sensible question.

Have you ever almost died?

You probably haven't done that either...

But those of you who have will understand my sentiment.

Dancing with death makes you realise just how precious life is. And, when one nearly dies, I find they come to appreciate life even more. The first time I almost died at the beach in Busan when I was younger, I found that everything looked different to me when I came back to the world of the living from the strange limbo of unconsciousness.

The grass was greener, the sky was bluer, the sun was brighter, the food was better, each day was a blessing.... each day was beautiful. And I valued my life infinitely more because I had almost lost it.

Some people see their life flash before their eyes when they have near death experiences. Some report that while they were unconscious they saw god, or flashing white lights, in some cases they even say they saw flames.

And like me, some say that they see angels.

I don't have a faith. But I do believe I was saved by an angel that day during the summer of my youth in Busan. And likewise, I had opened my eyes to find another angel after returning to the world of the living.

My eyes fluttered open, and at first there were only black dots and beams of light, but eventually my pupils adjusted and the scene before me was quite visible. Leaning over me with her hands clamping down on my chest was Jeo JangMi.

She looked positively petrified.

Upon, seeing my eyes open though, some relief seemed to overcome her. Amusingly, though, her joy manifested itself in the form of excessive tears which streamed down her face as she realised that I was alright.

I felt a sudden pang of Deja Vu at the situation. She looked similar to the JangMi who had saved me when I was younger in Busan, and as I'd learned earlier today she lived there until she was 8. She even sounded similar - and she sang the same song which Lee JangMi had sang to me. I was certain of it, especially now that she'd saved me.

This wasn't a coincidence.

JangMi was really who I thought she was.

My playing detective was cut short by a sudden embrace. Jeo JangMi threw herself on top of me, clutching me tightly as she sobbed into my chest. Her whole body shook uncontrollably in accompaniment. "I'm so, so sorry." She said, hoarsely. "I wouldn't have done it if I knew I swear I wouldn't have..."

I was a little shocked at her action, but quickly adjusted to it - and moved a hand up to her head - stroking back her (now wet) hair "I know..." I said simply. "I know everything."

She only seemed to unravel more at my words, holding me tighter, and moving her hand up from my chest to my shoulders, until they eventually came into contact with my cheeks. She travelled one hand up to settle in my hair while positioning the other so that her fingers where behind my ear and her thumb was on my cheekbone.

She raised herself, so that her face was hovering above mine and as she did her crystal-like tears dropped onto my skin, dissolving and spreading out as they hit the surface. She stayed dangerously close to me for a few moments, our lips only centimetres apart and our eyes not moving away from each others gazes.