Time Waits for No One

When you live in your own little bubble with no other people around you, it becomes oddly easy to forget nearly any holiday, even your birthday. You know it's coming or within the month, but in the end it all blends together. Christmas becomes one of those things that is a blessing or a curse, and with everything that's happened so far, I almost wish I could have one of those moments. However, it becomes harder at Hogwarts. The giant Christmas tree in the Great Hall, the constant smell of peppermint and cinnamon scented pinecones filling the air, the odd couple that is staying at Hogwarts so they can spend it together, the decorations filling each crevice. It fills even the Slytherin common room with a Christmas-y air.

It's quite depressing, really.

Taking a heavy sigh, I place the book I had been reading back on the shelf where I had taken it from, quickly looking for another one.

Not that I haven't gone through nearly every one...

Scouring the shelves, I find my way on the last isle of books.

Are there really only two shelves left?

Minerva went home, Abraxas went home, and besides Tom there aren't really any other friends that I have. I get along with plenty of people, I've helped tutor a few, hung out with some other girls, and even had a conversation with one of my teachers about ideas for a project one of her first-year classes could do.

This one, this one, this one? No, no... Hmm... Aah! This one!

Finding my seat once more, I sit down, the three few books I grabbed thumping lightly on the table. This being my ritual for the past week, I've become so used to it I barely notice my surroundings anymore. Fiction, non-fiction, biographies, technical, poetry, and so many more. Hogwarts may seem like it has a lot to do, but in reality the only things you could call events are Quidditch, and the Yule ball, and the Tri-wizard tournament. Everything else comes from your classes - which none of which are in motion right now.

A few hours pass before I place my last book down, getting up, put them all back, and scour the shelves for more. It doesn't take long before someone taps on my shoulder.

"Will you be finishing these tonight or bringing them back with you?"

A crisp voice cracks through the silence.

"Pardon?"

I ask exasperatedly after jumping pretty badly, not ready for the voices shock.

"The books?"

Having snapped my head up towards the voice by now, I furrow my brows.

"Uh, I guess I'm finishing them - although I should probably try to stretch them out." Pondering for a moment to myself, I glance away from his brown eyes before looking back, confused. "Hey, when did you get here, anyway?"

"Seriously?"

"Yes?"

"I've been here since noon. Have you gone blind or something?"

Blinking rapidly for a moment in surprise, I take a moment to process his words.

"Noon? Really? What time is it then?"

"Nearly midnight." Scoffing lightly, a small smirk played on his lips. "You really are daft, aren't you?"

Giving a lighthearted chuckle, purely out of awkwardness, I refute his statement.

"I am not," I begin, stumbling over my words slightly, "I've simply been lost in my thoughts and books, I guess."

"Maybe it's time you find your way back to reality and decide on staying up later or taking the books out."