chapter 4 - innocent?

_y/n.

♡ 6 375                      Comments 121_y/n

_y/n. Working on a Saturday has its privileges!
.
.
.
Saturday, a great day for a spa day- oh, right, work. Today was one of those weekends I was supposed to work. I loved working on weekends because on Sundays we got to eat with the inmates and on both days they had days off. So everyone could do whatever they wanted! Though I did have some one-on-one therapy sessions, one of them being Arvin, which I looked forward to. Everyone had two sessions each week.

"Hey Sofie!" Another great thing about working on the weekends - you got to come in at 7am instead of 6 and the guys didn't have to wake up till 8. And today Arvin asked me to bring him a Starbucks so I got one for myself as well.

"Hey y/n, how did you sleep last night?"

"Eh, fine I guess. I got this Starbucks for the new guy and took the privilege to order one for myself as well." We walked towards the changing room and saw that everyone was sleeping. I didn't really wear anything special today, only sweatpants and a sweatshirt, though I did bring a nicer outfit for later because mom had set me up on a blind date with this one rich guy. Never really liked these blind dates but I would do anything to make mom happy.

"Ugh, I could kill for one of those right now!" She looked really desperate and I took pity on her.

"You can have mine! They added too much sugar either way and you know I like it black, like my soul." I smiled at her and gave her the drink, I really didn't want it and she just looked shocked but took it happily. I walked into the changing room and dressed with my normal guard clothes. Then I got out with Arvin's coffee and went to his cell. Then I saw he was awake and smiling at me.

"Hey gorgeous, saw that new hair on Instagram but it looks so much better in person. Brown really suits you." Ugh, did I tell you my love language is getting compliments? No? Well it is! I could swim in compliments all day long. I handed him his coffee and smiled.

"Thank you Rusell. What could I get you for breakfast today?"

"Em, I'll take a grilled cheese sandwich if it's not too much to ask! Didn't you get yourself a drink? That was the whole reason I sent you there!" I looked at him shooked.

"What? I did get one but they put to much sugar in it so I gave it to Sofie." I told him shrugging. I left him there and it looked like he was thinking, but I just got him his grilled cheese.

"Here you go!" I handed him his sandwich and noticed he hadn't drunk anything yet. "What is it? Don't you like the drink?"

"Here!" He handed me the drink and before I could retort he went back to his bed and put on some music in his headphones. I was really confused but tasted the drink and it was exactly how I like it. I just mumbled a "thank you" and could see the ghost of a smile on his lips as he laid down and ate the sandwich. He's really nice.
.
.
.
It was now time for therapy and my first person's Arvin.

"Hello!" He knocked on the open door and I simply welcomed him in and without much pushing, he started to talk.

"So, it's been kinda hard, you know, being in prison and feeling like my freedom is taken from me. Sure, it's nice I can still use my phone and ll but it's still not the same." He looked down with a genuine sad expression.

"I believe that's the thing with being in prison. Because of your crime your freedom is taken away. Now, being falsely accused is another topic. You could always try to stay good and the earliest you can leave is after 1/2 of your time - and that is if you get good people to testify for you. Now, if it would be proven you are actually innocent that is a different case. You could be able to leave in just a week after proven innocent. So, don't give up, okay? You can still try and work for your innocence, but it is hard. Now my ex was not innocent, I know that, but he never gave up and that gave him the possibility to leave three years early. But if you're truly convinced of not being guilty, work for it! Don't just sit around feeling sorry for yourself, actually do something! You can ask me, your friends, anybody for help and I'm sure they would be more than willing to help."

"Are you willing to help?"

"Yes. I don't know yet what the evidence is towards you being guilty but I am willing to look it up and help you. I believe you had one of those city lawyers? That you don't have to pay, right?"

"Yea, the worst kind. I don't have any money laying around to pay any better one." He said sadly.

"Well, is there any reason why the people accusing you would want you behind bars?"

"I- I think so. I screws their daughter and her career plus her reputation..."

"And how did you do that...?"

"I texted all her colleges telling them about what a bitch she is when she broke up with me and took all my money."

"Oh, really? She did that? Isn't her parents rich?"

"Yea, but they stopped giving her allowance because of her choosing to date me, so to get me back she - or somebody working for her or her parents - stole all my money." He just looked down like it didn't make any difference.

"And did the court know this?"

"Umm... No?"

"WHAT?! Why did you not tell them?! That is a solid reason for them trying to frame you and you did not take it up. No reason you're here right now!" I got really mad, why didn't he take it up?

"Well, my lawyer said it didn't make any difference so I thought he was right and didn't take it up... Should I have?"

"SHOULD YOU? OF COURSE, YOU SHOULD! You should call your stupid lawyer and ask to be set before the court and tell them all this! I'm sure they would at least like to know this, and maybe they take your sentence down with a few years." I mentally face palmed myself for him being so frickin stupid.

"Well, I'll go ahead and do that then. There is no possibility of you having a better lawyer at hand? As we both just realized mine is not the best."

"Well, my best friend Sara is a lawyer and she does owe me a favor for everything I've done for her when we were younger. And she's a private one and in the top of her league."

"Really? Could you call her or something? I would love to talk to her!"

"Of course. Still, I do owe you one for two coffees now!"