Chapter Thirty Nine

Wyck slammed the car door behind himself as he fell into the new, clean black seat. He sunk down slightly gliding his hands over his face and letting out a rough sigh. He leaned forward after a moment to shove the car key into the slot, hearing the engine rumble as he turned the key.
      His pocket began vibrating repeatedly and the tall boy groaned. He reached back to pull his cellphone from his pants and put it to his ear without looking at the contact screen.
       "What is it Julia?" He spoke with little patience squinting his eyes.
       "Why are you ignoring all of my calls?" Julia's familiar voice shouted angrily through the phone.
      "Because I don't want to talk to you." Wyck spoke flatly back.
      Julia scoffed, "This is so ridiculous, I can't believe you actually didn't come with us!"
      "Are you still on about this shit? I swear to god J-" There was a vibration against the side of his head. Wyck pulled to phone away to read a notification before he continued.

      Ava
     'Hi. This is kind of random sorry to bother you but I was just wondering if you would mind if I drank tonight? Sorry if you don't care at all I just wanted to check.'

     Wyck furrowed his eyebrows at the text message, ignoring Julia's shouting voice through the phone. He shook his head in a rush of irritation. "You want to what?" He muttered to himself in response to Ava's message.
      "Huh?" Julia paused.
     "No- not you. Fuck off Julia I have to deal with something else right now."
      Julia shouted once again but was cut off as Wyck ended the phone call and opened the message thread between Ava and himself. There was a deep crease between his brows and a look of disdain on his features.

      'Is that a fucking joke?'

     Wyck typed quickly, he paused and sunk deeper into his seat while deleting the message.

      'No.'

      He deleted the message again.

    'Hell no.'

      Wyck didn't send the message, he dropped his phone into his lap and sighed instead. "Don't be a dick." He murmured before lifting his phone back up and erasing his 3rd draft.

      'I'd prefer that you didn't.'

      He pressed the send button and stared at the screen, suddenly a phone call took over from Julia again, he rolled his eyes and declined the call.

      A response came from Ava a few moments later.

      'Oh, is there a reason?'

      "Do I need a fucking reason?" Wyck spoke louder to himself. Another phone call interrupted, "I swear to god, why is everyone bothering me with stupid shit right now!"
      Wyck put the phone to his ear, "Julia. Let it fucking go!" 
      "Would you at least give me an idea of when you'll be back?" She screamed at him.
     "I'll let ya' know bud." Wyck hung up the phone after forcing a sarcastic response and began typing back to Ava. "What the fuck." He spoke aloud after reading her message again

      'I don't think it's a great idea for you to be drunk at a college party.'

       Ava
     'Why not?'

     Wyck widened his eyes at her argumentative question.

      'It's not safe, drop it.'

      Ava
     'I will be with my friends though, and my cousin Jason just agreed to go so he'll keep me safe. Not that I need anyone to keep me safe it's not a dangerous frat party or anything'

     Leaning over his phone in disbelief at her message, he shook his head and opened her contact to call.
     The phone rang for a long time, Wyck impatiently rubbed his eyes with one hand as the other held the phone to his ear.
      "Hello?" A whispered sweet voice picked up.
     "Have you been planning to get fucking plastered or something?" Wyck immediately growled into the phone.
     "What? No! I didn't even plan to drink I just don't understand why you're saying I can't. I can take care
of myself. And you can't just call!"
      "Why are you whispering?" Wyck squinted.
     "Because I'm hiding in the bathroom! You can't call out of nowhere I'm in front of people!" Avas voice was a hushed plea.
       "I can call you whenever the fuck I want." He spat. "You're gonna take care of yourself or Jasons gonna keep you safe?" Wyck mocked her with a venomous and sarcastic tone.
     The phone call went silent. He took a breath before continuing. "Listen, little one. I just don't feel comfortable with you being drunk and vulnerable at a party without me there to-" He sighed.
     "But, Jason will."
     "You only irritate me when you bring up someone else keeping you safe." His voice was softer now, Ava took a while to respond.
      "He's my cousin, Wyck." Her voice was judgemental.
       "Well I fucking know that." Wyck snapped at her.  "I mean in general, I don't want you to rely on anyone but me." His tone was confessionary.
      "That's not really fair." Ava spoke hesitantly.
      Wyck blinked hard at her words, agreeing with them internally he struggled. He let out a long sigh, "Just... don't drink tonight. I'll pick you up from the party at nine."
     There was a pause. "Ten?"
     Wycks head fell harshly against the seat, "9:30." He spoke bluntly before pulling the phone from his ear and hanging up. His long arm tossed the phone into the passenger seat forcefully. He jerked the car in reverse, tires squealed as he swerved out of the parking lot of the airport hotel.