Chapter Twenty Seven

A few hours passed and Wyck hadn't come back. I moved about the room passing time and distracting myself from our argument. I could barely figure out the hotel TV, I took a fast shower and tried to open the hotel door a couple of times too. Which I was now paranoid it would alert Wyck somehow that I did that so I stopped trying.
      I wondered what Wyck could be doing? He did mention he had some sort of job to do in New Orleans, maybe that. It made me sick to my stomach that he could be committing such a violent crime as I sat here waiting on him. I worried as well, if that's what he was doing, what if he got hurt? Is that why he's taking so long?
      It seemed like forever until I heard the door lock click and shove open. My body tensed up as I sat on the bed with my legs under the covers and watched a cartoon on the TV, dressed in just Wycks T-shirt.
     His tall stature turned the corner, he was dressed in a black jacket with the hood over his head and he had a gray grocery bag in one hand and a Togo box in the other.
      I looked at him shyly and he paused before walking over to the bed. He placed the items in his hands down in front of me and sat on the edge of the bed and leaned over to remove his black boots. He didn't look at me as he unlaced and pulled them from his feet.
     "Hi." I uncomfortably greeted him.
     Wyck paused, his head twisted to face me and his bright blue eyes pierced, "Hi." His voice was gravel and unhappy. He turned his attention to remove his second boot.
     He sighed once he was finished and left his foot propped on the bed with his knee at his chest, avoiding eye contact again he moved to push the Togo box toward me and opened it. "Eat." He commanded simply.
     I looked down at the box of food, I could tell it was from an American diner. I pulled it all the way to me and began picking through the food. Wyck watched me do so for a while. It was very uncomfortable and I wished he would speak instead of stare at me.
      "You showered?" He asked almost as if he read my mind.
      I nodded while staring down at the food in the white box as I ate slowly.
      "It's almost light out, you should sleep. We don't have to be at the airport until 6, I don't want you to run into anyone from Seattle so we'll show up later." He spoke flatly.
"Where did you go?" I asked suddenly, ignoring his words that always sounded like commands.
Wyck looked up at me with furrowed brows. He looked to the ground after a moment, "Dont worry about where I go." He was rude.
I was growing more and more frustrated with the situation, maybe being home made me feel safer, braver, but I decided not to cower like a puppy. "So you can tap my phone but I can't ask where you just went?" I stared directly at the side of his face.
Wycks head snapped to face me with confused eyes. How could he possibly be confused?
His leg dropped off the bed and hit the floor, his body jolted loosely with it as he stared at me with parted lips. The sound of his foot hitting the carpet made me jump.
"I was with Julia." Wyck was flat.
I furrowed my eyebrows at him. Julia? I thought she was mad at him right now? I remembered the long text thread he had opened in the elevator, and how he mentioned Julia right after. What was he doing with Julia that lasted almost three hours?
"Oh." I kept eye contact with him. He squinted at me again and closed his mouth.
"Oh?" Wyck questioned.
"You were gone a long time." I stated.
"What do you mean?" His expression was confused and annoyed.
I felt slightly embarrassed but decided to explain, "Julia told me you guys used to date. So I don't really know what you were doing with her for hours." I felt weird in my accusation.
Wyck tilted his head at me and suddenly smiled, which caught me off guard. "Are you fucking jealous or something?" He laughed. "Why would she tell you that?" He spoke to himself and looked at the ground before standing up. He turned around to grab the gray plastic bag and tossed it into my lap. "Maybe I got lonely." He mocked my wording from earlier.
      I kept my eyes on him, only looking down at the bag for a moment. It was soft and light as it crinkled on my legs. "No, I'm not jealous." I lied about that, it really did bother me and I wasn't sure why.
Wyck looked at me for a while, "Are you gonna finish that?" He changed the subject which frustrated me. I looked down at the Togo box that he was pointing to and shook my head. Wyck leaned to grab the box, close it and walk over the the small fridge that was tucked under the cabinet across the room. I watched him with irritated eyes.
He paused and sighed as he turned around, allowing the small door to close behind him. He the walked to sit on the edge of the bed, he looked at me for a moment before scooting closer until he was able to place his hand on my knee that was under the blanket. I tensed at his touch though his eyes had softened.
"There's nothing to be jealous over, if you are." He paused at the last part. "She's upset with me that I'm staying here and we went to get food. I just wanted to be on good terms in the chance that I join her and Johnny again. I only saw her for about an hour and then I went around town, to your school and your house just to get an idea of the area. I know I got harsh with you earlier and I needed to calm down, I'm sorry. And I'm sorry for being rude just now too." He placed his hand down on the plastic bag in my lap. "I got you clothes to wear tomorrow. Ones that will fit so you don't have to explain mine to your parents."
I looked down at the bag, and then back up to Wyck. "Thank you. I'm sorry I said what I did too." My voice was small and I felt appreciative of his apology and honesty, although knowing he went to my house made me feel nervous for my family.
Wyck stood off the bed and walked over to the duffle bag, he pulled his jacket over his head and i looked down at the bag in my lap, not wanting to watch as he was changing.
I pulled the bag open and emptied it onto my lap, on top was a pair of black leggings, then a black T-shirt and finally a red hoodie that said Seattle on the front. I lifted it up. "They had this at Walmart?" I asked him as he tied the waist of his sweat pants.
"No, Julia got that while we were there. She said you can borrow it for tomorrow."
As he spoke a final article of clothing fell from the folded hoodie. I dropped the jacket and picked it up, it was black and lace. I unfolded the small piece of clothing and realized it was an extremely revealing thong.
My face went red hot as I dropped the underwear and pushed the hoodie on top, feeling embarrassed that Wyck had picked out something so private for me. I looked up at him as he held a crooked smile on his lips.
"What? You're shy now? I thought since you wanted me to fuck you so badly I'd get you something that I like." He was sarcastic as I was too embarrassed to even breath. I wanted to punch myself in the face for being so forward earlier. I gave him a wide eyed look.
"What? Ava, you needed underwear. It's fine, you'll look good in those." He turned his attention to zipping the duffle bag.
"Okay, but it's none of your business." I argued with him.
"You weren't acting like you'd mind me seeing them on you earlier." He dropped the bag on the ground and shoved me further into a pit of embarrassment. He laughed at the beat red expression on my face and turned out the lamp. "Let's just go to bed, baby." His voice was soft now which melted me slightly. I shoved the clothes onto the floor and slipped under the covers fully, feeling incredibly awkward.
"Okay. Goodnight." I talked fast, and turned to face away from him. I could hear Wyck laugh again behind me, the bed shifted as he crawled under the sheets and moved closer to me. "Don't be embarrassed." He continued to laugh, pulling me into his chest.
He was warm as always, as uncomfortable as I felt it was hard not to sink into him. I was exhausted even though I slept throughout most of the day, it was hard to stay awake. I was more than excited to see my parents tomorrow and the sooner I sleep, the sooner I'll wake up to head to the airport and feel my first bit of freedom.