Chapter Fourty Nine

It's been a minute and I don't remember if I named Avas parents lol correct me if I did!!!

It wasn't until Wyck was sitting in the stagnant air alone that he began to feel nervous. The black button down shirt felt tight around his arms and throat, he had it buttoned up to his neck, ink scarred into his skin dancing past the folded seam of his collar.
A cool wind blew leaves across the driveway outside of Avas house, it was the old wooden bench with rusted garden decor that made the home from an outside view look somewhat haunted.
Or maybe it was that Wyck wasn't used to seeing a house that looked like a home, he was mistaking familiarity for something scary. The uncharted territory was the perpetrator to his state of anxiety. Wyck had walked around an alley corner in the complete black of night, faced two men with deadly weapons and ended their lives on his own without an alarm in his brain. But here, sitting in this car outside of a girls house about to meet her parents had him sweating. He could have laughed at himself.
      Wyck sent the text he had typed a minute ago letting Ava know he was in the driveway and reluctantly climbed out of his low to the ground car. With the slam of the car door he swiveled on the heel of the same heavy black boots he always wore.
      The front door creaked up the driveway and Wyck glanced up to see the slight girl walk outside of the house. A sort of warmth washed over him and settled his stomach momentarily. He thought traditionally the father would greet him at the door, but Wyck was sure Ava didn't want to risk him being alone with her father for even a moment.
      With long relaxed in appearance strides Wyck made his way to the front door, Avas wide nervous eyes racking over him. Wyck wanted to pretend her direct gaze was a reaction to her attraction to him, but he knew she was just making sure he didn't show up looking like who he was.
   "Hi." His deep voice grumbled with a lack in energy as he stepped up the few steps to the front porch.
      "Hi." She murmured back. Up close he could see her face was bright and painted in flattering makeup. His eyes lingered on each detail of her fine face before he floated his gaze down to the black dress pattered with small red roses that flattered her body, down further to the light blue socks on her feet that threw off her put together ensemble. A gentle grin spread at the detail.
      Then Wyck looked past her, he stepped to move toward the open front door and begin his false introduction, but as he tried to pass Ava caught hold of his arm tightly and pulled him down to whisper into his ear. Wycks expression grew shocked at her tight grip, surprised by her sudden halting movement.
      "They were asking me a bunch of questions!" She spoke in a frantic whisper. "They started with your name, I told them 'Wyck' was a nickname like you said. Short for Wicked."
     "Well, we knew they were going to ask..." He looked down at her now, talking in a calm voice.
      Ava spoke over him still stirred up, "I froze up when they asked what you were in school for! They were making a huge deal out of the fact that I didn't know." 
      His brows knitted, "You told them I was in school? That wasn't the story." His whisper was aggressive, Ava lessened her grip on his forearm.
       "I know, they asked if you moved here for school and I panicked and automatically said yes." She admitted awkwardly.
      Wyck shook his head and muttered to himself, "Guess I have to enroll into college now." His tone was sharp. "Just let me take care of it." He snapped and began walking back towards the door. He used Avas own grip to pull her ahead of him, allowing her to lead the way through the front door. She moved slowly in front of him, extremely hesitant, he could feel that she was far more nervous than he was which insulted him slightly.
       Wyck hadn't seen the living room of Avas home before, just her bedroom. It was spacious, cluttered with random objects collected over time, memories. The house smelled strongly of Avas scent, it comforted him in an odd way. He could see into the dining room, Avas parents, standing close to each other and having a hushed conversation, this was a warning but a warm sense distracted him as the sight was similar to his short conversation with Ava on the front porch a moment ago. Did Ava and him look like a couple like her parents did?
      Avas father straightened as his eyes met the bright blue ones of Wyck. He nudged his wife to follow his gaze as Wyck followed Ava in their direction.
       Richard and Amy Bellamy. Wyck had learned the couple's names though Ava had never spoke them out loud to him. But would it be rude to call them that? What is the etiquette when it comes to parents, mom and dad? No that would just be weird. Mr. and Mrs. Bellamy was a mouthful and he couldn't risk stumbling over his words, while 'Hello Richard, Amy." felt rude. Sir and Ma'am. That would do.
      His thought circle ended as he stopped directly in front of Avas parents, standing beside the diner table loaded with plates and bowls of food.
      They stared at him with parted lips, as if he they had just laid eyes on a new discovery of a prehistoric deep sea species for the first time. Judgey, he'd be sure to remember that of them.
      Wyck was thankful to hear Avas shy voice cut through the silence, "So... this is-"
      "Jeremy." Richards hand shot forward, it nearly startled Wyck.
      Wycks movements were slow, far more calculated. "Yes, nice to meet you sir." He gripped Avas fathers hand and shook it once. It was somewhat awkward the way Wyck towered over both Avas mother and father, they weren't short people, Wyck was just excessively tall. A trait that suddenly made him feel obnoxious as if his body was loud in the quiet room.
"Yes, you as well." Richards response was uncomfortably formal, Wyck studied his slender face and read his expression of discernment. Each glance of distaste irritated Wyck, they were judging him for all the wrong reasons.
He turned to Amy then, unsure. Wyck followed her lead into a loose hug.
"It's nice to meet you Ma'am." He spoke like he had practiced in his head.
"Of course, Jeremy. I'm happy to have you over." She was friendlier than Richard and bore a closer resemblance to their daughter, with light hair and dark eyes. Opposite of Wyck.
It was both comical and excruciating to be called by the name Jeremy, he held his breath each time the name was spoken. "Thank you for the invite." Wyck then thought back to the cocky conversation he had with Richard over the phone earlier today, embarrassment trickled inside of him. He hadn't been concerned with what Avas family thought of him, not until right now while looking into their faces. Something about the introduction reminded him of each time he met a new parent who would greet him with such enthusiasm in the company of a government appointed social worker, only to be disappointed after the worker left.
Wyck checked Avas expression after the initial greetings had finished subconsciously hoping she would approve of how he did. She smiled meekly at his stare.
"Well, I hope you like fish." Amy spoke. "Sit where ever you'd like." She stepped aside.
Wyck stared at the table he had been invited to sit at and froze in place, again looking to Ava, this time for guidance.
She took a step forward and sat in the closest chair, Wyck followed her lead. The table was round with four chairs around it, after he sat Avas mother found her seat in the chair closest to him, leaving Richard in the chair across from Wyck. Only the sound of wood sliding against tile filled the room.
"Oh, uh. Yeah, I'll eat anything." Wyck spoke suddenly, forgetting he hadn't answered Amy.
"At least he's not picky."
Wyck looked forward to Richard, his voice was deep but without grit, he spoke clear and somewhat loud. Unlike Wyck, who's voice was dark, quieter and gravely, his syllables slid together and crunched rather that being distinctive.
He popped a brow up at Avas father, "At least. Thank god, right?" His tone was mocking. He regretted that immediately, but Richard snickered.
"And a sense of humor. Pass the salad bowl Ava, please?"
Ava moved without a word to hand a large clear glass bowl full of greens to her father. Wycks expression soured, he wondered why Ava was so quick to follow Richards requests, but found every way to disobey the smallest expectations from Wyck.
Food was passed around quietly then, only 'please and thank yous' were heard until there was a sufficient amount of food in front of each of them.
Richard was pouring a glass of wine for his wife and then himself before he looked to Wyck, "Are you of age?"
      Wyck nodded, "I am, I dont drink though." He opted for a sip of water that was already poured into a glass on the table. He felt Avas gaze suddenly on him, he didn't meet her eye.
      "Hm. Well, more for me." Richard chuckled, pouring a bit more into his glass. Wyck caught the feeling the man had been drinking leading up to this dinner. "Ava is too young and naive." Richard continued, she squirmed in her seat beside him.
      "Oh, let the girl live." Amy spoke up. Little did either of them know how Ava was living it up just last night. Wyck glanced between her parents, he observed that Richard was the overbearing type, while Amy preferred leniency.
       It was about then when Wyck noticed Ava hadn't spoken a single word since their hushed exchange on the front porch, he looked to her. She was flushed in her cheeks and jittering both legs. He wanted to reach out, put his hand on hers, or his leg against her leg. But he knew he was the cause of her anxiety and he didn't want to deepen it.
      "Well, Jeremy. I'm sorry I didn't know you existed until this morning, I would like to have gotten to know my daughters... friend sooner." Richard was blatantly passive aggressive, which was annoying, Wyck followed the rule of saying what you mean instead of insinuating it. Maybe Richard was trying to keep his cool for his daughter, or maybe he was just a coward. Either way, it was aiding in Avas panic. Over all, the use of the term Friend discredited Wycks position in Avas life.
      "Let's not waste anytime then, what would you like to know?" Wyck grew testy to quickly, he did somewhat want to be accepted by this man, but he wasn't going to roll over for him and ask for a belly rub like a good dog.
       Richard raised his brows and let out a small forced laugh, Wyck knew that he had shocked Richard with the response, he decided it was best to reel in his insolence for Avas sake. Wyck gave a tight smile, "You'll have to ask your daughter why you haven't heard about me, I thought you knew." Wyck looked to the silent girl beside him.
     Avas eyes widened, he could tell she read his signal and was glad she didn't take it as him throwing her under the bus. "Oh. I just wanted to make sure he was... you know." She laughed awkwardly.
       Wyck cringed internally at the girls inability to play it off.
       Her parents blinked a few times before her father spoke in his same, loud voice. "No. I don't know."
        Ava sucked in a breath and pressed her lips together tightly.
      "She wanted to make sure I wasn't a bad guy... you know? Crazy? A drug dealer? Kidnapper? Wouldn't be great to bring me home if I were a hit man, would it be?"
      Avas eyes shot open wide, her head snapped to Wyck who was giving her a sly grin, now leaning back into the seat. A sort of reality hit her now as she stared at him, a stranger at the dinner table. She was introducing a killer over broiled cod.
      "Luckily, for her... I'm just Jeremy."
      There it was again. Ava couldn't tell if Wyck was clueless, if it was that tricky, playful side of his personality or if he was threatening her, reminding her that no matter how the dinner goes, he was the ventriloquist and she was his puppet.
      Her fathers laugh broke the stare between her and Wyck, her brows furrowed as she watched him laughing, genuinely.
"Luckily for her I'm none of those things. She's just cautious, something I'm sure you taught her." Wyck continued.
       Richards laugh faded to a smile, "Yes, luckily for her. What do you do then? Ava said you are transferring to her same college? She doesn't even know what your major is, Jeremy." Richards laugh picked up again.
        Avas chest tightened again at the question she was unable to answer. She sucked in a breath snapping her head back to Wyck. He squinted at her slightly, as if trying to tell her something. His lips parted, "Criminal justice." The words were directed at her dad, but Wyck stared at Ava as he spoke.
He's joking.
     She released a breath, she watched the smirk hidden on the blue eyed boys sharp face, he was making innuendoes only she would understand. Wyck hoped to ease Avas anxiety by showing her she wasn't alone in the lies, though it may have been the incorrect route, there wasn't much other common ground he could level with her on.
      Ava laughed, which sounded more like a sigh, her breathing began to level.
"So Jeremy, how did you get into criminal justice? Or should I be calling you Wyck?" Amy spoke then, her eyes searching him. "How does someone get such a unique nickname?" She continued.
       Ava looked over to see one of Wycks brows pop up while looking at her mother, she was sure he hadn't come up with an answer for either question. She shrank in her seat.