Chapter Twenty two

Light shifted into my closed eyelids, I cracked them open slightly after a moment, waking up. The curtain blew from the fan allowing light to hit my eyes harshly. I squinted.
My hands reached up to rub my face as I fell onto my back, alone in the bed. What time is it?
My eyes fluttered as I wanted to keep sleeping. I noticed Wyck was no longer beside me in the bed but I was too tired to think about it.
My mind faded into sleep, I turned my body on the side to face away from the swaying sunlight.

"Ava."
I groaned. "Hm?" I heard the sleep in my voice as I responded to the deep one calling me into consciousness.
"Ava, Are you awake?" It was Wyck, I could recognize his sound easily.
"Mhm." I lied. I heard him chuckle as I pushed my face deeper into the pillow.
     Who laughs the morning after they murder a friend. Co-worker apparently. I ignored my sub conscience.
     "We have to leave, little one." His voice was a strange mix of harshness and sweetness. The bedside shifted as I felt Wyck stand up.
     I flipped on my back to open my eyes slowly, he was dressed by the bed holding black fabric and a duffle bag in his shoulder. Wyck tossed the black item of clothing beside me and I could see it was a pair of his sweatpants.
     "You can wear those, it'll be another long drive." He spoke sounding somewhat tired. I wondered when he woke up, and what time it was now anyway.
Thankfully there was a small digital clock on the nightstand in this motel, 8:43 A.M. I don't believe I've gotten up early so many days in a arrow before meeting Wyck. That's a good thing, right?
I pulled the pants under the covers to push my bare legs through. As I did I watched Wyck glance around the motel, I assume to make sure he didn't forget anything while packing up.
"Where... um." I stumbled over my words immediately, it was foreign to be casual. "Where are we going today?" I asked quietly, still weary.
I believe Wyck heard the uncertainty in my voice, he looked disappointed.
"Texas. It'll be one more night there and the next day we'll be in New Orleans."
My stomach fluttered, only one more night. I wasn't sure what was to come in Louisiana, but I'd be home.
"We need to talk out the details, we can do that in the van but you're staying somewhere with me once we're in LA." Wyck was stern suddenly.
I blinked, "But, won't my parents notice." I tried to talk my way into getting home sooner.
Wyck adjusted the duffle bag on his shoulder. "It's only a day late, I planned to tell your mom your flight got cancelled so... it'll be one night with me there." He slowed.
Okay, two nights. Two nights and until familiarity. My parents, my cat and my home.
"And then I can go home?" I looked for reassurance that my fortune wasn't mistaken.
Wyck looked at the door. His head shook once before turning back to me as I stood out of the motel bed, tying his loose sweatpants to fit my waist. He watched for a moment as I did so.
"We'll talk things through in the van, but yeah. You can go home." Wyck was apprehensive.
I couldn't help but gush even in his odd behavior. In a fog of hope I rushed around the bed and stepped in front of the tall boy who held a frustrated expression. I shoved the fears, the confusion and distrust aside to lean forward and wrap my arms around his long waist in gratitude.
"Thank you, Wyck." I spoke into his chest.
     The tall boy hesitated before wrapping a single arm around my back awkwardly, surprised by my actions. I was surprised as well, immediately pulling away once I thought my hug through. I stammered and faked a smile.
Wyck stared at me blankly, he was dissatisfied by something, but instead of explaining his cold reaction he turned away and did a once over of the room. Making sure he hadn't forgotten to pack anything once again, he was extremely precise.
A knock hit the door.
"Come on." Wyck spoke coldly. Walking to the door after the knock. I followed quickly behind him watching his head turn to be sure I was coming.
     He opened the door and cold air wrapped around me, it was slightly warmer than the last few days, I shivered regardless.
     Outside Julia was leaned into the wall beside our door, she had a grimace on her face with her arms crossed over her chest.
     I looked at her,  her eyes rolled as she shoved herself off the wall. I didn't understand Julia. Sometimes she was on my side and others she seemed to hate me, right now was one of those hating me times, so I looked away and tried to catch up to Wyck.
     "You wanna ride back with me again, Ava?" She spoke angrily behind me. "I wonder who will end up dead next?"
     "Hey J. Shut the fuck up." Wyck spun around to shout at her, he then grabbed me by the shoulder and shoved me to walk ahead of him.
     I heard the dark haired girl scoff as I looked at the ground with Wyck behind me. Once we were close to the Van Wyck quickened his pace to be beside me, one of his hands raised to glide up from the top of my thigh to the small of my back, feeling me gently in a way he hadn't before. I tripped slightly at his actions but we were quickly beside the van. he opened the door to push me inside before I could react to his touch.
     I slid over and watched Wyck as he closed the door, leaving me in the black van alone with Johnny who had barely noticed me crawl inside. His headphones as always were on his ears and he cranked the heat in the running van.
     I looked back to see Wyck was having a harsh conversation with Julia for a moment, they both disappeared behind the van for a while until Wyck walked around the side alone and without the black duffle bag that was previously thrown over his shoulder.
     I wondered what Julia was upset about. I assume it was over Mason, but it didn't seem to bother her that much last might, she was extremely collected then. Had I done something wrong then? I tried to push the thoughts out as Wyck crawled into the passenger seat. It's better to not think about it I've found out over the last few days.
      I straightened up and buckled myself in before he could do it for me.
     Wyck noticed that I believe and was slow to secure his own seatbelt.
      To my left Johnny slipped his headphones off his ears, "Oh yeah," he spoke relaxed, "So... we'll be in LA tonight. I found a better route. I mean it's gonna be like ten or twelve hours but..."
     Wyck stared at him blankly. "Really?" His voice was drawn out, eyes squinted.
     I tried to fight a smile off my face. "Now you don't have to pretend my flight got cancelled... it'll be more believable."
     Johnny gave me a strange look before turning his attention to pulling out of the parking space and placing the headphones back onto his ears. I know it seemed like I was trying to help my kidnappers there but my true intent was to be home as soon as possible. Johnnys news poured hope into my heart.
     I looked at Wyck to see his response to my suggestion.
     "I could pretend your flight crashed and never allow you to go home." His face was cold and blank. It drained the life out of me.
     My lips parted as I watched his jaw clench.
"What?" I slipped out.
His head shook and he looked out the window, the van was pulling onto the street from the motel.
"I fucking hate this." His gruff voice made me shiver.
I could tell he had been upset all morning, but I wasn't exactly sure why. I assume he was nervous to let me go home. I couldn't find the words to ask, I only hoped he would explain on his own.
Wycks face looked down at his lap from the window and then to me.
He stared at me and I grew nervous, sick to my stomach. I blurted a question to relieve his intensity, "Why did Julia seem upset with me this morning?"
His eyes squinted, my question was random and he didn't seem to appreciate my changing of the subject. But then he relaxed, leaning fully into the seat while still keeping his eyes locked on mine.
"She's angry with me not you, babe." His nickname gave me a sickly sweet feeling.
"What about?" I pressed.
"While I'm sorting things out with you I can't really leave New Orleans." My stomach dropped. "I'll need to stay there, so Johnny and Julia will have to leave without me. She thinks I'm quitting on her."
My mind buzzed for a moment, firstly he would be staying in Louisiana. I'm not sure how long but this meant he would be around, so what does 'belonging to him' look like in this sense? Would I have to introduce him to my parents? My friends? Not that I have many. He wouldn't be installing security cameras, he'll be present to watch my every move. Then the confusing emotion swept over me, there was a strange pleasure in knowing he wouldn't be leaving, the idea of him quitting his current gruesome career path was another relief.
"Are you? Quitting?" I asked quietly.
Wyck shrugged. He looked forward at the fast passing street beneath the vans tires. I could hear him swallow, "I don't know yet, I'm working things out in my head, Ava." His hand slid over to rest just above my knee. I felt his fingers squeeze as he spoke. "We'll talk everything through there's plenty of time." Wyck referenced the long drive.
The drive didn't seem long enough for the amount of questions I was compiling. I looked forward as well unsure of how to continue off of his disregarding answers. I swallowed loudly and tried to quiet my mind, at least it was warm in the van and I have the chance to see my family tomorrow.